Coming Down Off Mother's Day

Does anyone know what today's date is? That's right, it's May 12. You know, the middle of the month. May. And you know what happened this morning? It snowed. Oh yes, it did. It snowed this morning and it's the middle of May. There's something just not right about that.

We turned off the heat in the house because it's May. Who wants to waste heating oil this late in the year? Except the house is like an ice box because it's freezing outside! I was in the sewing room this morning and saw the window open. I have nobody to blame but myself. I won't be telling Sam about that one. At least we didn't waste heating oil over it.

Josh had to meet a bus this morning at 6:30 to go on a field trip, but since I was up at 5:30 we certainly weren't late. Why was I up so early? Because Micah joined us in bed right about then and proceeded to kick me in the kidneys until Sam left for work. Then I shoved him onto the other side of the bed.

But then the fun day really got started. Micah screamed. He grabbed his diaper front and screamed like someone was literally ripping him a new one right there in bed. I pulled back his diaper and looked, but saw nothing. And his diaper was even dry. Yet he continued to grab himself and scream in an I'm in serious pain - do something about it! kind of way. So I pulled off the diaper for another look because at 5:45 I may have missed something. Still nothing, but his diaper was now soaked. And he was done screaming. Now I'm a teeny bit freaked. Why on earth would peeing put him in so much pain? There was no blood and it didn't smell funny. (Why yes, I smelled the diaper. It's part of the awesome detective skills mothers have.) He rolled over and went to sleep after I put a dry diaper on him. And he slept until 8:00. He woke up with another soaked diaper and there was no screaming involved. Very strange indeed.

So because I still had 3 kids sleeping at home, I simply slowed down as I neared Josh's bus and reminded Josh to tuck and roll as he jumped from the van. I hope I didn't have to sign him in or anything.

Luke also has a field trip today. He spent the morning talking about it. Should he just carry his lunch or take his backpack along all day? Should he carry his thermos or put it in his lunch box? (Food is all that matters to 7 year old boys, apparently.)

He wasn't at school 10 minutes before I got the call. Luke forgot his lunch, could I have it down to the school by 8:30? Why, sure. I could do that. Let me snag Micah, throw a handful of breakfast in a bag for him and run that down. But that also means that I won't make it back in time for Micah to catch his bus so I'll have to run into town to drop him at preschool. Actually that works out good as I'll be driving right by Starbucks.

But let this be a lesson to you. No matter that it's the butt-crack of dawn and you think nobody will see you, go the extra mile and be sure you look decent. I grabbed a pair of sweats and crocs and ran out the door. Turns out I was wearing black pants and a blue shirt. Thankfully nobody saw me at the bus drop since I didn't get out of the van. When the school called I figured I'd better change into jeans, so I did. And away I went.

While I was in the school the psychiatrist snagged me to discuss testing Micah, 3 students stopped to say HI to my dear boy, 2 teachers poked their heads in to tell me Good Morning and then I had to go into the preschool to ask them about further testing of the boy.

After returning home I realized that I hadn't brushed my hair, I had no makeup on, and I wasn't wearing a bra. You'll have days like this.

27 comments:

KG said...

It's so true - I was visiting my parents and made an emergency run at 6:00 am for infant Tylenol in a sweatsuit only to find that all of my mom's friends apparently hang out OUTSIDE at that time and wait for decrepit and miserable people to drive by so they can mock them.

jessica said...

glad i'm not the only one. we run into our VERY PUT TOGETHER neighbors only when i'm in such a 'not put together' state. almost want to crawl under something when i realize it. oh, well.

hope tomorrow is much more smooth for you!

Jules said...

Actually all the time. For me the questions should be..... Do I have days that AREN'T like that.

At least you were coherent ( a good thing), and friendly and maybe no one even noticed. Hopefully. Maybe. Probably....... ya think?

Michelle said...

Your day sounds so familiar. Except thankfully for the kicking of the kidneys part. I am a mean mom and refuse to have any children in bed with me.

I am impressed that you were able to get everyone everywhere. I only have to get Mister Man on the bus and Little Miss to preschool in the morning twice a week, and she's still rarely there on time (mostly through no fault of my own).

Here's hoping day 2 after Mother's Day is a bit better for you. And that the testing turns out the way you hope!

The Sports Mama said...

But did you at least brush your teeth? ;)

Pam said...

what? We just have days like that? I thought every day was like that....guess I have some work to do.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

No bra? You harlot!!

Hallie :)

Spammon said...

Our heat has been off for about a month. And it's funny because just yesterday I was thinking "Why the crap is it so freaking cold in here?" I swear it's going to warm up one of these days.

Burgh Baby said...

I had to turn on the electric fireplace last night. I was not amused.

I seriously have never walked out of the house without a bra. Never. I wouldn't want to inflict that kind of pain on the world.

OHmommy said...

Oh no.... no bra! LMAO, only because I can relate. ;)

Flea said...

But you still look young and hot, right? :)

Anonymous said...

You're right about these days happening. I always feel like I should have a billboard above my head with a big flashing arrow to be sure my clothing mishaps and make-up less face and sticking up hair get the attention they appear to deserve.

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Yep, it never fails. I can go to the grocery store a hundred times and never run into a person I know, but the minute I look like I just rolled out of bed I meet every person in town.

That's strange about Micah. I hope it was just a dream or something.

Wineplz said...

There are very few instances where anyone in public would realize I'm not wearing a bra. And I frequently go to the store looking as crappy as possible so that I don't get lewd remarks from the dayworkers milling around some stores near me.

Anonymous said...

SOunds like a crazy day! Hope it all turned out okay in the end! ;)

Anonymous said...

Tell me again why you willingly live in the Artic? Cause, just to let you know, it was a cool 73 here yesterday. And, that's actually COOL in my book.

And, I am often braless, without makeup (rarely wear it these days) & out in public. Screw em all!

Andrea said...

What a day!! I have had those!! It doesn't matter what time you get up someone is always late or forgets something!

It's crazy that is snowed there, I hope your garden is alright!!!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Yea i always seem to run into people when I am not in my best of state! I espesally hate it when it is someone I use to date and I am huge frmo being prenant and tired looking from all the morning sickness.

Cecily R said...

First of all that Mother Nature chick is rude. Someone should give her a swift kick in the behind.

And secondly, I think my one of those days are more like one of those months.

But hey, everyday is an adventure, right??

By the way, is Micah still okay after his screaming wake up?

caramama said...

Screaming and holding down there? I immediately think of urinary tract infection. Hope it was nothing though!

And thank you for the warning. It does seem like the one time you don't brush your hair/change out of sweats/put on makeup is the time when you run into everyone!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Sorry to be so happy about your snow, but all I could think was "yay! maybe your box WILL get to you before it melts!"

Kellan said...

SNOW!?! That is crazy. I won't tell you how hot it was here today - nope! Sorry about the bad day - I hope tomorrow is better and the snow clears on outta there!

Take care- Kellan

JennyH said...

no bra- funny!!

We have had all 4 kids in the bed with us at times- I totally understand the kicking part!

Hope the day got better.

Anonymous said...

Snow = bad
Missing lunch = bad
No bra and not realizing it until you got home = hilarious

Anonymous said...

Rumpled hair, furry teeth, braless, and wearing comfortable clothes -- you're still a mom who will bring your child lunch. So many moms wouldn't do that. I salute you.

Hilarious post, BTW!

Blessings!
Lacy

Irene said...

I am sorry, but that is hilarious! I remember when Caroline was little and things were really crazy, I would take off for a quick outing by myself any chance I got. They were so few and far between.

One time I went to the mall and was just browsing and enjoying my alone time, when I caught sight of myself in the mirror. My shirt had stains on it, my hair was a mess, I looked horrible. I was so embarrassed.