The Little Pirate's Ship Has Arrived

When we built our home nearly 10 years ago (already?), we had a room built for each of the 4 kids. We didn't know at the time that Luke was afraid to sleep by himself, and had to bunk with Josh for a while. We're happy to inform you that he's now able to sleep on his own.

Just about time we finally got Micah out of his crib and sleeping in his big boy bed in his own room, I decided to take that room for much-needed sewing space. Micah was moved in with Luke and they've been roommates ever since. Last month, I moved the sewing room to the basement with the intention of giving Micah his own room back again.

I know for a fact that Micah is not going to sleep in his own room from the very first night he has one. In having the boys bunk together all these years, we've since realized that we created Micah to be a dependent sleeper. He's dependent on someone else being in the room with him. This is not good. In the very rare event that all the older kids are gone overnight, we have to sit with Micah in his room so that he can fall asleep. And even then, sometime in the middle of the night, he ends up in our bed because he realized that he was alone in his room. While he was sleeping. He's got a sense about these things, obviously. So we left Micah's old bed in Luke's room so that at least he'll have a bed to sleep in when he wanders in the night from his own new room. Nobody likes sleeping in the same bed with Micah. The boy is a thrashing octopus when he sleeps. Except being kicked by a 100 pound boy is going to hurt a lot worse than being slapped by an octopus tentacle. And we won't even mention the knees to the kidneys. I'm just grateful that I have 2 of those things in the event that one is just killed one night.

So after a month of slooooowly moving things to the basement, the bedroom transformation took place today. Partly because Target helped me score an entire bedroom for under $50. Clearance rocks, and Target had some good deals. I got a pirate bedding set, a room darkening curtain (anything to help that boy sleep), a bed skirt and some decor for his wall. Being all excited about my purchases, I came home and spent the next few hours cleaning and setting up his brand new room.

(Shout out to my awesome husband who spent considerable time on his hands and knees picking pins out of the carpet.) (I threw a huge area rug over the place where the pins were, just to be safe anyway.)

Micah was pretty thrilled about his new room. Mostly about his pirate themed bedding, but the room itself was fairly cool, too. I'm pretty thrilled to have all his toys moved upstairs and out of my living room. As far as I'm concerned, it's a playroom for him with a bed in it. He said he wanted to sleep there tonight, and was so excited to have Becky sit with him until he went to sleep, but it's seriously only a matter of time before he's wandering the halls tonight, looking for another bed.

The countdown is on...


(Ignore the lack of a bed under the mattress. It's still in the basement. But we do have one. And also ignore the sewing patterns hung on the wall. I didn't say I was completely done moving things.)

No comments: