She Dodged That Bullet

Becky had high school orientation the other week. We as parents were so very excited about this event. Not that we were that happy to have a high schooler, mind you. This was for purely selfish reasons.

We were finally getting to meet the boyfriend who's been calling all summer.

Sam asked Becky if she'd be nice enough to introduce him to us. She looked at him like he grew a few more heads, complete with bugged out eyeballs and wacky hair. They bantered back and forth for a bit with her adamant that she wouldn't be embarrassed like that, and he just as adamant that we should have the common courtesy of meeting the one who's been tyeing up the phone lines.

Sam said, "That's alright, if you won't point him out we'll find him on our own.

You don't know what he looke like! (She was so thrilled with this little piece of information.)

Oh, we'll find him.

You can't. You don't know what he looks like! (Teens are nothing if not predictable.)

I don't need to. When I stand up in my seat and yell his name I'll find him pretty quickly.

You wouldn't!

I would. I'd yell "Goerge Clooney*! George Clooney, where are you? We're Becky's parents!"

Okay, fine. I'll introduce you.

She was lucky. He had football practice that night and wasn't there. This was confirmed by our nephew and friend's daughter.

*Not his real name.

25 comments:

KG said...

BWAHAHAHA.

My poor parents got so sick and tired of my boyfriends calling they finally gave me my own phone line. I had flavor(s) of the week when I was that age.

Good for her!

Michelle said...

Dude I am SOOOO going with your parenting tactics as the wee ones get older. And yes, I was joking about lucky previously!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! A high schooler - I am in awe!

Cynthia said...

Holy moly...not ready for teenagers!

Marmarbug said...

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love it!

the planet of janet said...

i'm keeping this tactic in my back pocket. let's see which one of us really has to use it first ;-)

The Sports Mama said...

The trick is to ALWAYS call their bluff like that. Jock can't have a girlfriend for longer than a week or two before we have to meet her.

Although really, they don't generally last much longer than that. Maybe I ought to push to meet them sooner.... and we can just end this whole girlfriend thing now!

And? Becky really should be grateful you named him George Clooney here. You could have gone with someone a little more idicative of the age/mentality..... like Will Farrell. Infinitely more idiotic, and not nearly as good looking. :)

Glowstars said...

Sounds like just the sort of thing I'd have done to my baby brother.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

love it! can't say it enough!

our technique...boys hav eto come to the house to have a coffee/talk time with hubby before she (DD1) can 'date'.

so far, so good.

Caution/Lisa said...

I was pretty relieved for Becky that George wasn't there that night!

Flea said...

I'd stand up and yell George Clooney, too, if he were in the room. That's a no-brainer! ;)

CanadianMama said...

Becky is dating George Clooney - Can I come to school with her too!

HalfAsstic.com said...

That is exactly the type of thing that motivates my girls! And can you imagine having to tote around a name like George Clooney? Talk about big shoes to fill. Glad it's not his real name!

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Hi Girlfriend,

I've been away from the bogdom for a bit (family needed mamma in a big way), so I am just now wading back in. I came here for a grin and a giggle. I got it. ; ) You're precious.

Unknown said...

I am so glad you were not my parents when I was a teenager :) LOVE your tactics :)

Wineplz said...

I cannot wait for the teenage years...just to be able to do that kind of stuff.

Leanne said...

What! Your daughter's NOT dating George Clooney. That's it, I'm not coming back....

My daughter has a boyfriend too, we call him Scary Jake. My advice, stick with Clooney thoughts while you can becauce maybe you really don't want to meet him....

Karen said...

That's funny stuff!

Irene said...

Oh that is hilarious! I am NOT looking forward to the start of the interest in boys. Although, unfortunately, Christina actually had a bit of a crush...in Kindergarten! I just sort of ignored it and hoped and hoped it would just go away.

I can't wait to hear when you actually see the said stud!

Anonymous said...

We have a few extra shot guns if Sam feels he needs one...just to teach junior a few rules, of course.

imbeingheldhostage said...

so it really isn't George Clooney?
:-)

Karen Deborah said...

very funny let us know when Dad wins this one.

My Two Army Brats said...

Hehe! I would so do that to my kids. Or my friends kids, or kids I barely know just for laughs!

Michelle said...

Oh I had to laugh when Sam said he would jump up in his chair and yell out the boy's name!! One of these days you'll meet this elusive boyfriend! I hope.

caramama said...

That. Is. Awesome! And freaking hysterical! I will totally do that to my kid!