Potty Pimping

Becky is part of the youth group at church. For those not in the know, this is considered training for college stunts and shenanigans. It's also yet another way to access the wallet of a teen's parent. We don't mind shelling out for worthy causes, mind you, but we only have so much to shell out. Between school, 4-H, and church (times 4 kids) things can get tight when trying to stretch that dime in different directions.

And the youth group realizes this. We're not the only parents in America (or our church) on a budget. So they got creative in their fundraising efforts. Take the Flushmaster 2000 for instance. It's a toilet, as the name would suggest. The teens painted this thing hot pink. It's all kinds of snazzy going on, trust me.

I know what you're thinking - what does a toilet have to do with stretching a dollar? Here's where creativity takes a walk on the interesting side. This super spiffy potty has taken on portable qualities and randomly shows up in the front yard of unsuspecting church members. This eye-catching piece of redneck decor must remain in the yard (in full visible sight!) for a minimum of 48 hours.

And you're still wondering what on earth this thing has to do with money. If you're thinking that passers-by are tossing quarters into it you're mistaken. Although you're more than welcome to do that if you're in our 'hood. No, after 48 hours the family lucky enough to be humiliated in front of their entire neighborhood must pay to have that portable piece of embarrasment taken from their presence.

This? Is sheer genius.

Guess what showed up at our place while we were busting ourselves for the church's sake at the corn maze on Saturday?



Our kids are thrilled that it's our turn to host the potty. How warped are they? AND, they asked that it not be removed until they went back to school today because they needed the entire bus full of kids to see that thing sitting in our yard. Niiiiice.

So while we were waiting for school to resume, Micah had a meeting here yesterday morning. People that we see once a year for an evaluation. People that don't know us very well. People that now think we think it's cool to have a potty at the end of our driveway with the word BUTT painted on it. Only the lady that came was more warped than my children.

She loved the toilet.

I am not even kidding you. She complimented me on the genius of it, and for setting it right out by the road like that. (We have a long driveway.) I told her the story behind it and said that we're waiting until it's removed because oh-my-goodness-there's-a-toilet-in-our-yard. She said if it showed up in her yard she'd keep it forever and plant flowers in it. And she was not even kidding. I am now a little worried about this lady. She did redeem herself by promising to beat a few people with a very large stick, hoping to have one of them cough up a loaner speaking device for Micah. (Yes, we're still in the pre-paperwork stages of that. And don't even ask - I'm more hacked than you can even begin to fathom.)

So while we're waiting for the toilet to be deposited at the next unsuspecting house, I've decided to pimp it out. It's been spray painted for oh-so-long and seriously needs a re-do. Behold, the powers of fabric.



Of course you've noticed that this is not the actual toilet that will be traveling round the 'hood. This was the model toilet to make the ugliness with. But you've got an imagination, and as we're not really repainting that pink monstrosity, can you image what it'll look like with that get-up on it?

Oh, yeh. That's one piece of redneck hawtness going on right there.

25 comments:

the planet of janet said...

oh, yeah, girlfriend! you do rawk the hawt house!

KG said...

Why are you so clever and crafty? Cleverness and craftiness such as yours ought to be outlawed. It just makes the rest of us look bad.

That toilet is HAWT.

PS - When I was in high school, we were trying to raise money for something and the deal was if we raised enough our youth group leader would shave his head. Bald. Yeah - we raised enough money and yes, he was bald. And his ears stood out. And it was hawt.

Pam said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! I love your redecorating! That is hawt! You rock the tliet decoration- if yor shits don't work out, you can always start to sell toliet decorations....ha ha ha ha ha!

Flea said...

You could only improve that with a dead opossum in the tank. That would be not hawt. But it would smell more like a toilet.

So how much does a family have to pay to make it leave?

CC said...

Wow. It's so perrrrrty! A perty potty!

Michelle said...

Wow. Really, that is genius. Somehow, I don't think it would fly in my neck of the woods, but definitely pure genius.

You do realize though that once you start redecorating it, it's like to end up like the Rock at NU -- repainted anddecorated and added to by every group that has it until it has to be sandblasted down because it's so big :) Way to start that trend!

And I promise to say nothing about the speaking device other than *seriously*?

Karen said...

That is just funny and all kinds of creative. My roots are mostly redneck, so I relate in ways that I really should not.

Karen said...

That is just funny and all kinds of creative. My roots are mostly redneck, so I relate in ways that I really should not.

MommaSuds said...

That is so funny.How creative is that.Totally hawt!Redneck hawt even hahaha.

Shellie said...

What a great idea. Once in my old neighborhood, someone dumped an old couch on someone else's lawn. Then they added to it and left it on someone else's lawn, and so on, and so on, until there was a whole living room set. It made the papers. Eventually, it had to be hauled off to a second hand store.

Cecily R said...

That is just a little bit of BRILLIANT!!! I love LOVE the toilet fund raising idea!

And your toilet outfit? Well, that's a lot of brilliant. YOU are a toilet decorating genius.

Anonymous said...

Go on, do it. Might increase the amount you have to pay to take it away!

JennyH said...

Oh my!! What a pretty potty- before and after!! So funny your kids actually wanted the school kids to see it!

Madame Queen said...

I love it! I think you should start selling those (or seasonal variations?) on your Etsy shop!

Trisha said...

Nice toilet! Apparently it is the day for blogs on toilet related issues. Check out my toilet paper blog!

I love the new look! You are so creative. I think the youth will LOVE it!

Caution/Lisa said...

I wonder what you could do with the toilets at my house ??

Quarantine Hobby said...

That is brilliant.

Absolutely brilliant.

Kidzmama said...

It's definitely a creative way to fundraise. How much do you need to pay for the toilet removal?

The new fabric toilet is great. I'm thinking if you can do that to a toilet, your clothes should be flying out of your online store!

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

It's Karen's version of Carl! Oh, my goodness. I cannot imagine. But, I must say you certainly did pimp it out very well. The kiss is the best part.

Leanne said...

Vvverrry classy. I'm gonna get me one of those! :) DO NOT give my church your blog address. I do not need one of these in my yard too. Pretty please?

Maria (also Bia) said...

I'm with the visiting lady . . . I'd plant flowers in it with ivy hanging down the sides.

Very stylish.

Karen Deborah said...

hilarious! My grandma had a pink felt hat thingie over a toilet PAPER roll on the back of her toilet. Even as a kid I thought it was a bit over the top. My kids would want that spray apinted john as a permanent piece of yard art. Too funny, butt indeed!

Wineplz said...

dude, you stole that from my grandma's bathroom, didn't you? ;)

imbeingheldhostage said...

Some people got ALL of the crafty genes dangit! That's hilarious!

Burgh Baby said...

You. are. awful. In the best way possible.