Can I Get a Do-Over on Kindergarten?

The second nine weeks of school is over, and based on his progress report, I think that I need to talk to Micah's teacher.

Don't get me wrong, she's doing a fantabulous job with him and I'm so very proud of what Micah has become this year. But the poor kid is lacking in actual scholarly skills. While I had no grandoise expectations of him learning the alphabet or writing his name this year, I did think that maybe he'd meet his IEP goals.

He's not. And I'm okay with this.

You see, I never thought that he would start kindergarten as a 5 year old. I was fully prepared to hold Micah a year, or two even, because his mental age and his chronological age just aren't leveling up. The reason that I finally caved was that the learning environment there is second to none for a kid like Micah. And because of that he's thriving there like he would nowhere else. Socially speaking.

It's the academic part that he's lacking in, and it's nobody's fault. He just isn't there yet. So here's the thing. I want him to repeat kindergarten next year. I'm not sure that this will be feasible, but I'm pushing for it. I mean, if the kid isn't even meeting his IEP goals, what other option is there? I'm kind of hoping that he continues to Not Progress the rest of the year. I would love nothing more than to consider this another year of preschool, and have a do-over for kindergarten.

Do-overs are nice, aren't they?

And then there is speech. My poor, speechless boy. Have I mentioned lately that I'm ever in Prentke-Romich's debt for allowing Micah to talk through technology? Because I am. And I'm thinking that I always will be. Micah got his speech evaluation at the second nine weeks' also.

*sigh*

Here's what he's working on now. "With the sounds W, H, and P in isolation, Micah has had limited success." She is enouraged, however, because he's been saying "wee" and "woah" during play acitvities. And? "Recently, he has been able to produce his B sound in isolation with 90-100% accuracy." There. He excels in something speech-wise. He even does this independently without modeling, most of the time.

I'm so very, very glad that he has a Voice.

20 comments:

Keri said...

I love hearing about Micah's progress and growth. He's wonderful, and that is due, in no small part, to his faithful mom. You and my friend, Penny (who also has a DS son), are my heroes. Your DS boys are beautiful children and give all of us reason to open our hearts wider to individuals like them.

Fight for him in every way you can. Follow your instincts. Be his advocate.

AutoSysGene said...

I'm glad he has a voice, too. Not only the one from PR...but his Mama Bears, too!! :)

KG said...

I hope that you don't have another fight against the bureaucracy of school systems ahead. You and Micah deserve better.

Cecily R said...

You know, I think a do-over should be your choice. If you think he needs another year, he should get it.

I can't tell you how many times I've thought about Micah and wished I could hear his "voice". The whole thing just amazes me and makes me happy to think about.

Karen said...

I love do-overs too. I hope the battle is short and sweet, getting what Micah needs.

OHmommy said...

You should be able to do a do-over if that is what he needs. There is nothing in the law that opposes that, is there?

BTW. My Jay went to kindergarten in his dog shirt today! He loves.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

well, micah and brooke are simliar little peeps...i held brooke back this year...and didn't allow her to go on to kindergarten in hopes she will be ready next year. she's making such progress, but like you, i have concerns. do overs aren't bad...and i've seen that this year in her developmental preschool. it's def been the best decision to keep her back...and she still has a major sppech issue, but it's getting better, and still no hand preference. poor kid may never be right or left handed...but she's got to get some writing under her belt. the 5 letters of her name exhaust her.

ok, off me and onto micah...he's precious and i lvoe that his PR is giving him his voice...and he's gonna do great! bc ur great!

Kim said...

If you think he needs to redo Kindergarten then he should redo it. It is better for him to catch up on his standards a little than to move forward and struggle even more next year. I repeated Kindergarten, a lot of children do. I am so happy for you and him for these amazing accomplishments.

Suburban Correspondent said...

I think a re-do would be great! And I bet he talks, just very late.

Anonymous said...

I think it is completely within your rights to ask about the possibility of repeating kindergarten. Out of curiousity, is Micah fully included, or is he taken out of the classroom for a certain portion of the day for one-on-one instruction with the special education teacher? I only ask because when I was in the school district, kindergarten for special needs kids was quite lax, and the bigger emphasis was on developing social skills, learning how 'school' works, etc. It was not until they went into 1st grade that they started really focusing on more than just life skills. Whatever you decide, I am sure that it will be the right decision! Your little boy is very lucky to have you in his corner - keep up the great work, Momma!

Michelle said...

I don't know what your district is like but in ours, yes, there are do-overs and there is a percentage of children each year who repeat kindergarten. For Mister Man, I actually proposed having him do K this year and K again next if necessary to give him some more challenge (and if he was fine in K this year to move to first grade). You know your child... and at least here, the school can make recommendations, but you own the decision (unless it's about advancing them early!) ;)

AZ Chapman said...

aounds to me that one more try at kindergarten would not hurt him

Kidzmama said...

Another year of kindergarten would give him the opportunity to learn the "learning" skills since he's mastered the social skills. It's a great idea. One more year of getting his voice to work before the pressures of first grade is good too. Good for you for being so open minded!

Brandie said...

nothin wrong with a do-over! what is the rush to get kids through school any way? we all know what's waiting for them.

CC said...

Micah rocks. But I have to say in my professional opinion, that I would not "hold him back". Because truthfully, his IEP his Sped are going to based on his AGE and not his grade until he is 21. It makes no difference if he is in K again next year in terms of his goals. If anything, we've pushed a few of our kids "ahead" to middle school a year early (although we never changed their grade) because they were ready for the increased socialization a year early but never because of academics.

I'm proud of Micah and I think he's doing great. But if he is in a self-contained classroom, then I would keep him wherever his "age-grade" says he is.

Krista said...

As a mom of a son who didn't graduate with his class, I would say hold him back. I wanted to hold my son back and was told they don't do that (No Child Left Behind) and the system failed him. He couldn't keep up socially or academically. There's really no reason to rush them through school. I wish they held all boys back a grade like in other countries! Grades are just numbers.

HalfAsstic.com said...

I am too, and there is a special place in heaven for that dear man, (I'm sorry I can't remember his name, but I KNOW you do!), who hooked you up with his "voice".

Daisy said...

In terms of retention and repeating grades, Kindergarten is one of the best. It is least damaging socially, whether regular ed or special. I hope you'll find the right decision, no matter what it is.

caramama said...

You know what your boy needs. I hope that the school listens to you and it's not a big fight!

I'm so glad that Micah has his voice too!

JennyH said...

Good luck on making that decision. I would probably go for the "do over" if you can. Max has a summer b-day so he started when we was 6. However, I don't think he will be held back on any grade levels just b/c they get services once they graduate but only until they are a certain age (21?) and we don't want to hinder those.

Good job on the "B" sound!! It's something!