Hair and Pigs. There's a Fun Combo.

Wow. You know that you were in serious need of a new 'do when everyone feels the need to tell you that they love it. I don't mean my bloggy friends who had no choice but to comment because I posted a picture of it and put you on the spot and practically begged you to say, "oh, Karen, I love your hair!" even if you didn't mean it. (But thanks, anyway. Luv ya for it.) I'm talking, instead, about the people that I pass three times a day at the fair and they never really say hello because they aren't my best friends and if they can just ignore me, they will. I'm talking about mere acquaintances that will shout across the pig barn that it looks fab. I'm talking about people in church who purposely run after me and gush about the new look. I'm talking about men commenting on it.

Yeh, that's bad.

Mental note, never let my hair get that bad again. Yikes. Sorry, general public, friends, family, and total strangers that I run into at Wal-Mart. I didn't realize that I looked so awful.

Moving on...

If you decide to give yourself highlights, and choose not to follow directions on the enclosed tri-lingual paper, you have to be aware that the achieved effect will not be the desired effect. I'm just saying. Thankfully, I'm good with this. Also thankfully, I'm not vain. I am, however, considerably more blond.

*******

The pig show was Tuesday. Mind you, the kids bought the pigs early this spring, fed them daily, walked them, cleaned pens, whined about them, and looked forward to the show All. Summer. Long.

The dog decided that Tuesday would be a super-fine day to go into labor. Of course. I debated long and hard about whether to leave the dog and risk losing her and a litter of puppies (hey, after this spring's whelping journals anything could happen) or missing the kids show. I waited around all afternoon, and mere minutes before the show was to begin I decided that PETA could gasp in horror. My kids came first. I drove back and forth between classes and was here to witness the birth of the first puppy. (The fair is a 20 minute drive one way.) So we have puppies. I love puppies. Mom and babies are just fine. And darling. And well taken care of.

Because you care, I'm going to tell you that the kids did very well with their pigs. Out of fourteen, Josh got fourth. Becky got eighth of fifteen. While you're thinking that it's not all that newsworthy, it really is. Judges tell us all the time (and this year was no exception) that the pigs at our fair could win any class across the nation from about sixth place on down. We truly have some of the stiffest competition ever, and to place at all is huge. Feel free to tell me that you don't really care.

13 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

I'm sorry, did you say something? All I remember is PUPPIES!

the planet of janet said...

did someone say puppies?

pghrugbyangel said...

PUPPIES!!!!! *sigh*

The Sports Mama said...

I soooo want to see the new Marilyn Monroe side of you. :)

And congrats to Becky and Josh for the pig placing. Or whatever it should be called. :)

Laski said...

You know, I don't really NEED a puppy, but for some reason I REALLY want one . . .

Flea said...

OMG. If I wasn't sure they'd grow into dogs, I'd beg and buy one from you. TOO cute.

nikki said...

I'm too busy squeaking at the puppies to reply to anything else. PUPPIES! I want to come snuggle one right now!!!!!

(Congrats on pigs!)

Trisha said...

Puppies and Pigs! Congrats on the new puppies (and being able to do it all and not miss anything!) and the prize pigs! I hope your kiddos are proud!

Viv said...

Never put a puppy picture at the end of a post! I had to go back and read it again twice because my mind turned to mush as soon as I saw the puppies. Congrats to the kids, that is great!

HalfAsstic.com said...

OHMIGOSH! I want to touch that soft leetle nose SO BAD! OH, or those EARS! Or the fat little bellies! SOOOOO, cute!
And, heck yeah, I'm impressed with placing at the fair! Next time I want to see pictures of grinning pigs and not those ugly, obnoxious puppies! Heh!
Seriously, though, CONGRATULATIONS KIDS!

Cecily R said...

I care about pigs! I DO! Congrats to the kids and their piggies.

Those puppies are stinkin' adorable. Says the non-dog person.

Oh, and show us the 'do, Blondie!

Anonymous said...

Way to go kids! I love that they did so well after all their hair work (and encouragement from Mom, of course!)

And that's it . . . the girls and I are hoping the next plane out east so Maren can sit in the kennel and get her puppy love on!

Andrea said...

What an eventful day!! Congrats to your kids and their pigs! We have super stiff competition here too!! We live in a community where there are some pretty wealthy folks and they buy 1500 dollar pigs. It's crazy! But Congrats to your kidos, they sound like they did awesome, and I do care! I would have loved to have seen pictures of them showing as well!!

And I love your new do! It looks fabulous. And those puppies are too stinken cute! We are planning on breeding our dog next year, I will have to get lots of tips from you!!