And I've Reached My Tolerance Level on THAT Point

Today I finally got tired of driving to Pittsburgh for ENT appointments and added a local ENT to the long, long list of doctors on Team Micah. They will check the status of his ear tubes for me roughly every 6 weeks or so, and we will have the tubes replaced at Children's when the need arises. I'm grateful that they are willing to do this for me, and grateful that I have effectively saved two hundred barrels of oil while shaving off the two hour commute every other month. I'm also grateful to be doctoring locally where people are blessed with a few ounces of common sense.

The swine flu is starting to grate on my nerves. Call me crazy, but I'm not sure that the nation has a grip on reality anymore. The medical community has said that the swine flu is just another variation of the regular flu. When someone has the swine flu, the symptoms range anywhere from a cold to the flu. People die from the flu every year, just like people die from injuries, car accidents, heart attacks and everything else. The swine flu is a new strain of an old malady. It's not the worst thing that has hit America since the small pox.

My husband works in the medical field. I know these things.

So why is everyone in a panic? Why can't we go about our normal lives? Why do I now have to fill out a questionnaire at Children's asking if any of us have had a fever or cold symptoms in the last 24 hours? Why am I issued a mask if I check yes to either of the above? Why do they think Micah would let a mask on if he was issued one?

Although, in the interest of not looking panicky, the paper did clearly state that if you were issued a mask they are assuming that you did NOT have the swine flu, but just exhibiting swine-flu-like symptoms. Generous of them, don't you think?

With cold and flu season coming on, I can't imagine anyone will be immune from wearing The Mask. I, for one, will probably refuse. Mostly because it would be pointless for me to wear one if Micah isn't. And there is no chance on this side of eternity that Micah will wear one. I wonder what they'll do when the refusal is made. That would be interesting.

Thank goodness our small town isn't completely freaked yet. Someone needs a healthy dose of common sense.

20 comments:

Kimberly Wright said...

It is a bit crazy.

My only concerns, which are for the regular strains of flu too, are more about my child that has health problems and the fact we have five children.

Viv said...

When I went to the doctor with a sore throat, they issued me a mask...the doctor actually apologized.

Unknown said...

I sometimes wonder what the hell is wrong with people. Why oh why such a uproar?

Molly said...

Also, the mask they issue is NOT a mask that would keep swine flu out. We, the campus Ambulance, were told to go get fitted for this special mask and supposidly that is the only one that will actually protect you against germs

CC said...

The worst I have yet to experience was a cruise almost 2 years ago. They forced hand sanitizer and masks onto everyone the instant we stepped onto that boat. And it didn't end for 7 days. In spite of that, we still had a Norovirus "epidemic" hit the ship!

Suburban Correspondent said...

Actually, I like the mask thing. We had to visit the ER a couple of weeks ago. Normally, we would have been sitting in a room full of children coughing and sneezing all over our injured child (and ourselves). But they all had masks. I loved it.

I know the swine flu isn't the worst thing since small pox, but it is worse than the typical flu. The death rate is higher (not shockingly high, but there is a difference), and it is odd in how it affects children more seriously than the elderly, say.

That said, people are acting nuts. I would definitely pay more attention if my kids got flu this year and keep an eye out for complications (normally, I wouldn't even call the doctor); but that's about all you can do.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Here's the article I read, with the statistics...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33243503/ns/health-swine_flu/

Leanne said...

I agree with you. But I clicked on the link above and now I'm wondering again. Sigh. I just worry about my kids too darn much....

JennyH said...

I'm with you, I'm guessing you already know this.

2, maybe 3, of my kids have had the 'swine flu' and I'm still not sure why people are freaking out.

JennyH said...

Oh... and they also issued 'the mask' at the dr office....Don't think it would actually do a thing though!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! It's bad - I get it. What I do not get is why it has to be the lead-off story on the news EVERY NIGHT.

I'm with several others - the mask thing is a nice thought, but the blue paper masks are not going to do a darn thing to protect anyone! And I love how 'they' are talking about how people are washing their hands more now than ever . . . um, THANK GOODNESS! Maybe we should have a swine flu outbreak every year so that people will continue to wash their hands!

Becoming Mommy said...

It's worse here. I WISH they were only issuing masks, etc. Our hospital is apparently starting to kick women and newborns out of OB 12-24 hours after birth (women with c-section get a whole day--yea, like that's enough) because of fear of H1N1. Apparently post op and post labor complications weren't considered.

I worry, but only because Sasha has asthma and ends up in the hospital for every little stomach bug that most kids manage fine. If he were more sturdy, I wouldn't be so fussy.

Karen said...

Becoming Mommy - you have every right to be worried about swine flu with Sasha. I'd keep the little dear in a bubble if I were you. And I'm not one to panic.

Stephanie said...

If anything good is to come of this I do hope it is that parents with sick kids will keep them home from school. I am AMAZED at the number of parents who send their children to school knowing darn well they have a raging fever or stomach bug!

Trisha said...

My thought closely mirror yours. There are a lot of sick kids out there right now, though. Many have had to cancel their speech appointments due to the flu in the last few weeks.

Roger Miller said...

Several thousand people die from the flu every year. I don't expect that number to change, because it has been relatively constant. People need to actually go out and take the time to read up on some of these things, and not believe the "Dirty Laundry" of the newscasts. I don't think that there really is a "news" story here, except for mentioning that this is a different strain of the flu, etc. It almost reminds me of the hysteria that takes over weather forecasts when there is a possible "storm of the century" coming to town. Yeah, those two inches really messed me up. They will then miss an actual big storm later, which always cracks me up. I see also, that there are people trying to take advantage of the hysteria, to make a buck - Target selling "Flu Preperation Kits" for $10. The facts are, people get sick every year, and yes, unfortunately, people will sometimes even die from their illness. Crazy mixed up world we're living in lately.

caramama said...

What I've learned is what @Suburban Correspondent said: this strain is worse than other strains because it has a higher death rate and who it affects more seriously.

I'm still not that worried. My husband worries enough for all of us. Unfortunately, he sometimes is right to worry as much as he does. Just sometimes, though.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Oh. So it resembles a flu OR COLD?
I... uh... have. to go.

could be why the danged thing has hung on for two weeks without letting up.
Sorry London for exposing you, sorry kids' school, sorry blog friends...

Oh and you sound like my husband who is SO tired of the media and their flu frenzy.

Flea said...

Thaniel had the flu a few weeks ago. No one else here got it. I'll tell you, though, that it came on fast and fierce. If I hadn't known better, I'd have been scared for him. His temp was consistently up at and above 103 for a couple of days.

On the flip side, he was hanging all over me the whole time, sleeping on my shoulder and in my lap, and I didn't get it. Strange.

Karen said...

You know.....Sometimes, I think it comes down to the money. The opportunity exists and there are people who will capitalize on it.

I am tired of hearing the panic too.