Driving Age

Becky will be 15 soon, and the single biggest thing on her mind nowadays is the fact that she'll be eligible to drive next year.

I'll let that sink in for a moment.

You're probably laughing. I'm the one that needs time for a breathing exercise, and you're laughing hysterically at my impending doom.

Moving on.

Driving with Becky is a whole lot of fun. To clarify, that's me driving, and Becky narrating.

"Come on, mom! You could have made that. If I was driving I would have pulled out."

"They're driving so slow, just pass them." (It's not a passing zone, dear.) "So. I'd pass them anyway if I was driving."

"There is no train in sight, just go around the bar and cross the tracks."

"Slow drivers annoy me. I'll never drive slow when I get my license."

These statements do nothing to inspire my confidence. In fact, I'm making mental notes every time one of these Stupid Statements are uttered. For every one that I hear, I'll bump back her driving age a year. At the rate she's racking them up, we're now at the point where we'll be bartering with her future husband to allow her to get licensed somewhere around her 36th birthday.

Provided she's married by then.

13 comments:

Viv said...

Heh! I used to close my right eye and lean my head back when my mother was in the car with me.

Flea said...

Uh huh. Driving is a privilege, not a right. None of mine drive.

Michelle said...

Yikes. That sounds like my dear Little Miss. And ummm if I heard those words, I don't think I could stomach having her drive. Then again, I've already told my husband that he's teaching the wee ones. I know I won't be able to do it! Good luck!

CC said...

All I can say is that I am WAY glad that she is 3000 miles away from me. There are enough crazy drivers around here. ;)

Suburban Correspondent said...

I think we should either teach them to drive at 12 (when they are still listening to us and have a lick of sense) or wait until they are 20.

Molly said...

Oh boy. I knew we were in trouble when my brother said "Wait, there's a light there?"

Yes Luke. There is a LIGHT THERE. THE LIGHT YOU ALMOST JUST DROVE THROUGH AHHHHHH.

He and becky can drive around the yard in their little battery powered jeeps. Much safer that way.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

this exact thing is going on in this house with paige about ready to turn 15...scary. very scary.

Trisha said...

Wow! I hope her ideas change a bit when she really DOES drive!

Anonymous said...

I would just like to say that my mom went through the bars on the railroad that day.

Karen said...

Look! A comment from my daughter! And you're right, I did drive around those bars. Remember that you then freaked the heck out? I do. Good times. :) Luv ya.

Karen said...

Mine started that nonsense about age 3. I know many people who were a bit older when they got their diver's licenses. Sometimes, it's just the right thing to do.

the planet of janet said...

dear lord, i am six months ahead of you on this.

the roo-girl will be eligible for her permit in a mere 2 days.

except for the part where she hasn't finished online driver's ed yet.

either way, just be grateful you don't live near us. i'm terrified.

The Sports Mama said...

On the off chance it makes you feel better? The teenage driver in my house used to say a lot of the same things. Until he actually started driving.

The whole fear thing? An amazingly useful tool in a parent's arsenal. His greatest fear was that he'd be driving with me until he got married unless I felt comfortable with him behind the wheel.