The Teacher

The kids were watching skiing on TV the other day. As I looked closer at the screen, I realized that it was not a regular ski competition. The athletes lacked legs. They had a special ski that they sat on, and maneuvered themselves down the hill just as adeptly as anyone else.

The kids watched that for quite a while. I heard talk of things like, "that's Special Olympics, like Micah does" and "those people are amazing." That's just what I'd expect, of course. What I didn't expect was to hear Luke talk for hours about the things that he would invent, inspired by what he saw.

Mind you, a lot of those things that he would invent had nothing to do with the special people he was watching. It was more along the lines of gas powered skis and rocket blasting snowmobiles, but there were other things like special sleds for kids that can't walk, and small snowshoes to help kids walk in the snow. (We'll just ignore the fact that small snowshoes would be ineffective, the boy is thinking and planning and I'm giving him mad props for that.)

Ever since that day, nearly seven years ago, when Micah was introduced to us as a child with a disability, I've been thankful above all that his siblings get to experience life with him. Their acceptance level will be greater than most kids, their tolerance of different will be wonderful, they will learn that everyone has value, no matter what that person is able to do or not do.

It's just one of the things that Micah teaches us on a daily basis. We're so blessed.

But I also love that because my kids are able to look past that difference, they can see ways to help others. My kids are quick to step in and lend a hand, or an ear, or a shoulder to lean on. My kids are learning compassion.

I love that.

7 comments:

Flea said...

Your kids have a spectacular mom. :)

Carol N. said...

I felt the same way when Aidan was born; he brings the best out of us.

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

What Flea said.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

he is getting so big...and cuter every day. and wow..does he teach us all?!

HalfAsstic.com said...

Micah is a never ending, font of new life lessons, (and old), for everyone.

caramama said...

They aren't just learning these things from Micah. They are also learning them from you and their dad. :-)

Anonymous said...

I must agree with everyone else - Micah has no doubt taught each of them a lesson or two, but there is plenty of credit that needs to go to you and Sam as well.