Hello, Sun. I Missed You.

Spring is just around the corner. And I'm not going by the fact that the snow is finally starting to melt or the weather is getting warmer or the time change took place and it's light for an hour longer in the evening. I'm talking about the actual calendar day.

But as an aside, things are starting to melt. Even our own place, that's generally the last to thaw out, is melting off. I have pictures. See the front of our acreage? There's a wee bit of snow left in the front yard, and that line where the snow ends is a small stream. The field between the snow and the farm is ours and is blessedly clear. WE OWN SNOW-FREE GROUND.


And then, while standing in the driveway, I turned around and took this picture of our back yard. The driveway is also blessedly clear, but the yard clearly is not. Up against the tree line, the snow is probably still a good 2' deep. I'm only guesstimating, of course, because I didn't want to trudge up there just to measure.


And as another aside, I am fairly certain that I am the only person alive that embraces the Spring Forward time change. There's so much to love about it. It's the signal that spring is coming. It gives me more light in the evening. And I actually feel that I'm getting more sleep. Micah isn't nearly as early a riser as he used to be, but he's still up at 6:30 or so. Now? He sleeps in a bit later. It's so glorious to look at my clock and see a number that's enjoyable getting up at. 

So anyhoo....

Today was gloriously spring-like. The weather app said the temperature was in the 60's. I had a few minutes to kill in town while waiting for an appointment, so Josh and I headed to Somerset Lake to sit and soak in the sunshine. The lake is frozen over, of course, because spring is coming; it's not actually here. We were talking about the ice fishermen out on the lake and discussing the great sport. It's on my bucket list, actually. I'm thinking it would be so cool to drill a hole in the ice, toss in a line, and pull out a fish. And then I'd probably pack up and go home because its cold out on the ice and I'm not a fan of frostbite and hypothermia.

I decided to walk out onto the ice, because another part of the reason I think ice fishing would be fun is to walk all over the lake. I could do that today, so I stepped out onto the ice where the other footprints were. And crashed right through. 

Lake water is cold in early March.

But it was glorious indeed to sit on the dock, barefoot, and feel the sun drying my wet foot. I sat there for as long as I could before we had to go, because after the long and cold winter we had, the sun and warm temperatures warmed more than my wet foot. I'm fairly certain it reached way down into my soul, working to refill my Nature and Outdoors spot that dehydrates over winter.

No comments: