The Easter Weekend

The kids were out of school early on Thursday and off on Friday in honor of the Easter holiday. Micah needed this break from school so badly you can't even imagine. He's at the point where he is very ready for summer break to be here, and quite frankly, so am I. Sadly, it's still 7 weeks away. Those are going to be 7 incredibly long weeks for all involved.

Our Easter break started out just awesomely. On Friday morning as I was unloading the dishwasher, Micah had a little accident in his underpants. He dropped his drawers and showed me the sharty under drawers, so I told him to to to the bathroom to clean up. He locked himself in the pantry. There is no possible good he could be doing in there with soiled underpants so I opened the door to check. I was right. He was using a kitchen towel to clean up with. While eating chips.

I ran to town shortly after that to buy some eggs to color since the fresh ones from the hen house are too fresh. Who knew that would be a problem? Turns out farm fresh eggs don't peel well when hard boiled, and it would be an epic waste to boil up 5 dozen eggs, color them, attempt to peel them, and end up tossing them in the trash. So we colored eggs with the kids that were home because when you've got teenagers, you just roll with things. If we waited until the whole family was together for things like this, we'd still be waiting to open Christmas gifts. I tried keeping an eye on the time, knowing that we were having Easter dinner with my family that evening.

At 2:00 I realized that I'd put the ham in the freezer that mom had bought the night before. Frozen ham isn't going to both thaw and bake in 4 hours. I ran to town again, this time for more ham. I picked up an iced caramel macchiato while in town, because I could. I promptly put the ham in the oven when I got home and went to shower. Stupidly, I didn't crate Louie while I was upstairs and he pooped at the foot of the steps. In case you're unaware, that's a super fabulous location for ultimate step-in-it potential. I fulfilled his expectations, and thusly punished myself for leaving him alone downstairs and unattended while I showered.

Mom doesn't know that we didn't use her ham. Don't tell her.

Mom also brought over 3 plastic eggs filled with candy for the kids. We don't have 3 kids. We have more than that. I'm still uncertain who the eggs were for. We've even got more dogs than that, so it wasn't a doggie gift. Also, it has just occurred to me that hiding eggs with dog treats inside would be SO MUCH FUN. I should make that happen at some point.

Micah took those 3 plastic eggs and hid them outside because Easter egg hunts rock. He patiently waited until after we ate dinner with the family and invited his cousin and Luke to go gather eggs with him. His cousin declined, but Luke was game. Micah ran directly to where he hid them (he's so good at this game!) and put all 3 in his basket. He's not about saving any for those who didn't find them first. Nor is he very much into differing hiding locations. But he rocks the egg hunt when he's the one who hides them, that's for sure!

On Saturday I decided that since most of the kids were home we'd do some spring cleaning. Its long overdue, and I don't mean "spring has been around for nearly a month according to the calendar." I mean "I haven't deep cleaned the house since 2013." At least not in large chunks or entire rooms at a time. We washed windows, cleaned ceiling fans, cleaned the top of the refrigerator and the kitchen cabinets, hosed off and scrubbed dog crates, washed curtains, and moved furniture to scrub the laminate flooring underneath it. And then I had the bright idea to host Sam's family dinner here instead of going to the in-laws because it would be fun. And THEN I went to town to get plastic eggs to host an Easter egg hunt here since we donated all we had to the church for a similar purpose. Funny how it always takes so much longer in town than you think it will. The house was still rather in a topsy-turvy state when family descended, but that's fine because at least they see that I really do clean on occasion.

Also, I'm disturbed by the fact that I cleaned all day and the house doesn't look any different. And not because it really wasn't dirty to begin with. Trust me. IT WAS. And pretty much still is. THAT's the disturbing part. I am convinced that nothing short of re-painting all the walls and laying new flooring will make the house look better. I have the paint. I'm just too lazy to make it happen. Volunteers, anyone?

That Easter egg hunt on Saturday night was a bigger production than the Friday night one. While the smallest kids hunted eggs, the adults sat around the patio firepit enjoying the cool but definitely not snowy weather. It was a relaxing time had by all, which is always so nice.

Sunday morning in church, right after the offeratory prayer, Micah used Josh's phone to call Pappy, who was sitting directly behind us. The extra terrestrial ringtone was hilarious in the otherwise silent auditorium. Josh confiscated his phone after that just to b sure Micah didn't call anyone else who was sitting in church.

Tomorrow the kids go back to school. I can't say I'm looking forward to it. I doubt Micah is either. We're just ready for summer vacation so that every day can involve some sort of awesome adventure. What did we do for entertainment before kids were part of our family?


No comments: