Life. It's Very Good.

It's amazing what a few days away can do. Travel always resets my perspective on life somehow. Seeing that there is a bigger world than just your circle of things is helpful in that. Not that I don't know that world is out there, especially with the internet a part of my everyday life, but experiencing it is different than knowing it's there. Somehow. And interacting with people is helpful in that as well. I'll admit that I don't interact with people much. Being a stay-at-home mom who raises dogs for a living kind of hinders real-world adult interaction.

I'm a hermit, is what I'm trying to say.

But when I have the chance to experience the world up close and in my personal space over the course of a few days, it gives me reason to evaluate who I am. This is a good thing on occasion. I realized, once again, that family is what the world is all about. And simple pleasures. Things aren't so much what we need to work for, but relationships. Meaningful and real ones. Not this superficial and pretend stuff. Nobody has time for that.

And aside from all this deep introspection, I realized that in my absence, God had the opportunity to work a miracle. I left some very, very sick puppies in the care of one of my vets while I was away for the weekend. Things were so bad at one point last week that I feared losing the whole litter of puppies, and at best we'd lost that one. She was so sick. It was so hard to watch. I prayed the remaining 5 would make it, and prepared a speech to comfort the vet when she called to tell me that the 6th one died. It wouldn't have been her fault.

Except, by the end of the first day, she said they were all doing fine. Even the sick one. And the reports only got better from there. They were gaining weight. She started feeding them a mush mixture to increase caloric intake. They were turning into fat, healthy wee things again. She bathed them. They were amazingly perfect. All 6 of them.

I heard all this over the phone, but actually seeing those babies when I came home was nothing short of a miracle.

It's amazing what a few days away can do.


No comments: