Franklin Roosevelt

So there was that one day when we woke up with 5 dogs and said, "you know what would be a good idea? Buying another dog." So we did. Meet Franklin Roosevelt.


The last dog we purchased put our numbers at "I'm not exactly comfortable with this many canine under my roof." This dog clearly planted us in "I'm too embarrassed to tell anyone how many dogs we have," so I'm not. Just don't add 1 to the number in the opening paragraph here, please. Pretend you don't know what you now know.  Just know that it's too many, and it's not permanent. We can't justify keeping 2 boys, and we love Louie enough to give him the benefit of his age as an excuse. (Which really isn't one, but we're reaching here because we love that dog.) So we'll give him time to figure out life, and if he doesn't get life figured out in, say, 6 months, then sadly Frankie will be a permanent part of our home while Louie will continue to be loved by everyone who meets him but will call another house home. And that won't be fun.

So why Frankie? There is that thing in the dog raising business called "stud service" wherein you pay someone for the services of their dog. If you're going to have one or two litters of puppies, this is what you'd want to do. However, if you have a long-term thing in mind with raising puppies, you'll want your own dog because the money saved would be astronomical over the years. Except when I was looking for a dog that we could take Cooper to visit this weekend, I found Frankie. His loving owners needed to find him a home before winter set in and deeply reduced his price to the point that it was just cheaper to buy him than it would have been to pay stud fee. So that's why Frankie.

If our well laid plans go as... well, planned... we should be expecting Frankie/Cooper babies right around Christmas. The holidays here will be all sorts of fun, with 2 other girls potentially expecting right around Thanksgiving as well. I am blocking all the weeks from Thanksgiving to mid-January so that I can happily play with babies, and if I do not get babies (because life has a way of taking my well laid plans and laughing at them), then I will be free to attend parties and events last-minute as I choose.

In the meantime, we have too many dogs. I love these dogs, mind you, but there are a lot of them. I think I have crossed the line into Crazy Dog Lady territory. If you need me, I'll be over here scrubbing crates and mopping floors.


No comments: