Thank You, Thank You, and Thank You

I have the best bloggy friends ever! Thank you so much for your concern, well wishes and prayers. Josh's chief complaint is itching, and of course it's a no-no. Benadryl and warm baking soda baths are doing very little. If anyone has any suggestions I'm more than willing to hear them.

I think I'll break all our own house rules and rent every movie that the kid ever wanted to see, and stock up on snack foods. Maybe even soda, just for him. (We normally do not have junk food. It's spendy, get eaten in a day, and isn't even healthy.) I am super impressed with how well Josh is doing, and pray that he doesn't get worse. Without the vaccine it will, with the vaccine there's no rhyme or reason to the pattern it could follow. The court is still out over whether or not it's been adminstered.

For those of you whose children have been vaccinated, they now recommend two doses. The clinic has record of my younger two having one dose (because that's what they were giving at that time) but the older two not having any. And Flea, I remember trying to get the older two exposed when they were younger! The vaccine was so new that nobody knew much about it and I figured a dose of the pox would be less risky. It didn't work. In my memory, my children have never had the pox. Especially 2 years apart. Now might be a good time for you to call your doctor. A new New Year's resolution! Be sure all vaccines are up to date!

We're headed to Pittsburgh today to deliver the last corgi puppy from '07. (BBM - I meant to contact you about getting together, but upon the week's events I figured you probably didn't even want to see us. Unless of course you'd like to try your hand at avoiding the flesh eating bacteria.) We left the boy home yesterday and he did very well, but gets bored and lonely so quickly. I think we'll take him along and not let him out. Which directly translates into no shopping. And we're headed to one of my very fave places EVER to shop! With an incredible array of restaurants to choose from for lunch! *sigh* Such is the lot of a parent. Could we get him a bubble suit?

I appreciate that my bloggy friends are thinking of me, as well as the boy. It surprised me, it did. Not about your thoughtfulness, I've come to expect that. But because I hadn't given myself a thought through the last few days. I'm a mom, you know. I truly come last in the rank of things. But I was tired last night (as in totally exhausted) and went to bed with the little boys at 9:30. Weirdly, I woke up not very refreshed. Hmmmm This is not my month to teach at church (that was last month, because the church needed flashed at Christmas) so I may stay home with the boy tomorrow. Not because he needs me here, but because I need me to be here with him.

Let me apologize right here and now for not keeping up on the blog reading. I've not been able to catch all your wonderful posts in the last few days, and since the holidays are over I have some custom orders to make. These wonderful customers have been waiting since well before Christmas for their goods, and I've put them off. I can't do that any longer. So between sick kids, incompetent dogs and commitments, I'm behind on some things. Christmas may not come down in our house for a few more weeks. And I also apologize for the lack of humor in this post. I'm too tired to think about making it funny. (Hallie, I did mean to make you laugh. Because if you don't laugh at yourself your head will explode. Mine nearly did once a few years ago before I learned that no matter how bad things are, there's a humorous thread running through it.)

Have a great, disease-free weekend!

15 comments:

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I think you deserve a day at home tomorrow. And this is coming from a cradle Catholic who was taught it is a mortal sin to miss church on Sunday. But there are acceptions and you need the rest. It won't do you or any of your family any good if you get sick, too! I'll go for you and pray for you and Josh and that everyone else stays healthy.

When you have time (HA) I would like to pick your brain about your store. I'm looking into starting a web store and thought I'd look into Etsy. Believe me, there is PLENTY of time. Just thought I'd plant the bug in your ear. :)

Flea said...

Thanks for the heads up about the double vaccination. Now that I think of it, when we moved to Tulsa and the pediatrician sent our records to the new doctor, there was no record of my kids CP shots. I also waited a couple of years for vaccinations. Was there just some kind of recording issue back when the shot was fairly new? But I'll be asking the doctor to immunize the kids again, thanks to you.

My little brother and sister didn't suffer much from the chicken pox and were excited to stay home from school. Having my kids exposed to it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I got them at 15, and evidently it's much worse on older kids. I wanted to die, it was so miserable. And I have 2 teens, so off to the doc we go.

Once your boy's done with his oatmeal bath, slathered in calamine, clean the tub and have a nice long soak. Heck, put slices of cucumbers over your eyes. Because imagine what would happen if you were sick in the middle of this? Take care of yourself.

Burgh Baby said...

Next time! I'm actually brave enough to take on flesh-eating bacteria, but there's a little issue of a football game today and we haven't decided once and for all who will be using the two tickets we have. I'm thinking I'd rather snuggle with a Toddler while watching game from the comfort of my couch, but we'll see.

You definately should stay home tomorrow. Josh probably wouldn't mind the company plus you can use the time to get some things done or to do nothing at all. Both would probably be good for your sanity! I still can't believe Josh has that much luck. Maybe he should have played the lottery instead of getting strep and chicken pox simultaneously.

Now I'll have to call our pediatrician and figure out whether Alexis needs a second vaccine. One doc at the practice thinks she had CP, another agrees with me that she didn't. What to do, what to do. Thanks for the tip--I wouldn't have known to ask without it!

Irene said...

Wow, I don't know if I knew they recommended 2 vaccines. Thanks for the heads up.

Well, take care, and I hope that the rest of your new year is a little less eventful!

AutoSysGene said...

Take care of yourself, Karen! You need to stay healthy just in case Josh decides to share with his siblings.

I hope things settle down for you soon!

kari and kijsa said...

A rest would be well deserved (both for nurse and patient!!) Hopefully your new year will be a healthy one, once Josh recovers!!! Hoping things will be quieter soon!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Cecily R said...

I found out about the second dose for the chicken pox vaccine at Gracie's kindergarten exam. Since I got chicken pox when I was 16 and on a choir trip and ended up missing prom that year, I say loan 'em up if that's what it takes!!

I wish I had some great miracle cure for the itchiness. When I had them my fevers were so high that a lot of it is a weird haze. I do remember my would be prom date coming to bring me flowers. I was such a swollen mess that all I wanted was for him to leave. Sigh...

Good luck. I'm thinking of you both. And by the way, I'm all for staying home from church tomorrow. I so totally would. But I think sometimes I might be a heathen...:)

ALF said...

Hope your son is feeling better soon!

Karen said...

Cecily - that sounds just awful! The pox are definitely worse the older you are, and to miss the prom and all that is just injustice right there. I'm so sorry.

BBM - I am not a sports fan, and that's an understatement. I'm barely aware that it's football season much less when and where games are played. My husband could not believe I volunteered to drive a dog to PGH on a game day, during playoffs. Thankfully we got there early because traffic going into the city as we were coming out was horrendous.

Maria (also Bia) said...

I've been a little behind in blog reading this past week, so I was so sorry to hear about your son...yikes, you really have a full plate. I think God understands when a Mom needs a break. God bless.

Flea said...

I told my mom this afternoon about your post. She said that she got chicken pox as a kid, then got it each time one of her kids got sick, which she thought was impossible. Five times. Of course, having CP may trigger shingles, so that may have been what it was. We are SO going for the second immunization.

Maria said...

Sorry I don't have any help with the pox. I had it when I was 16 and don't remember feeling sick or being itchy, and I had a ton of pox on me! So my kids need another shot? Boy will they be happy.

Kellan said...

That's what I like most about you - that you find the humorous thread that runs through life!! I hope you all have a good weekend. Kellan

Leanne said...

Wow. I haven't stopped by for a while and look at what happens to you and yours!

Good Luck with it all, I hope DS is feeling better soon and I hope you find the humor SOON!

Hugs.

Shellie said...

I knew about the 2nd dose but I'm forgetting when everyone needs it! Just rest and catch up, our blogs will still be there awaiting your return. :) See, you were still here now that I got over my big fat cold.