It's a Potty Training Breakthrough


The kids asked to go to the beach today, so after bribing them to do all the house work while I broke ground on a new garden we headed out.

What? You don't think there's a beach on top of the mountains where we live? Around here they widen creeks to make a lake and then haul sand in. Glamorous, I know. But it worked for me when I was a kid and it's working for my kids. And the best part is that it's at the local state park so it's free, as well as 2 miles up the road.

The problem was that we don't own swim diapers. Micah skinny dips at home and we've learned to live with it. I don't think the park rangers would be cool with that so I put shorts on him and let him go commando. When we pulled in I whipped off his diaper and pulled his shorts back on but he started fussing and messing with the front of his shorts. He was clearly irritated about something and I think it was the lack of padding. Halfway down the hill to the water I told the kids it almost seemed as if he had to pee, but not being potty trained that was just a ridiculous idea.

As soon as we got to the sand he stood there and peed in his shorts. Apparently he gave all the signs and stupid mama didn't read them so he had no choice. But you can bet that I'll know next time. And that he'll be going commando at home on a regular basis.

But don't worry about him accidentally messing up the floors. Our boy may not be potty trained but he is housebroken. Tonight as he was walking around nekkid from swimming he headed outside and peed in the grass. We chuckled. It wasn't so funny, however, when he walked out onto the patio and took a squat.

I'm grateful that he knows this kind of stuff doesn't happen inside the house, but he needs to learn that the patio is off-limits as well.

I may have to buy yet another potty to set outside.

****************

You might be a redneck if your 5 year old is a lovely dark brown, and has no tan lines.

****************

My camera batteries were dead at the beach, but here's what we did this evening.





Luke learned from this guy that toads pee when afraid.

18 comments:

lindsey said...

I'm jealous of your fun beach night! Summer is the best.

I learned something new today about toads, thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

Housebroken is good. But, the patio? oy vey. Good luck on the puppy front.

Kellan said...

I did a "redneck" post for tomorrow - how funny. I loved, "You might be a redneck if your 5 year old is a lovely dark brown, and has no tan lines." - you always say the funniest things. Looks like fun at the beach!

See you soon - Kellan

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

That is so funny! Looks like you are almost there. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

OMG . . . after reading that I had to scroll back to the top picture . . . I thought maybe you had included an 'After' picture of Micah's patio adventures! I am so excited for you that he will be going commando (though truth be told, we do a lot of that around here because it seems to reinforce actually peeing in the potty.)

And the visual of Micah swimming nekkid cracks me up every time - to be 5 and so carefree!

Michelle said...

No puppies today, I take it! Phew for you!

Great news on the potty training breakthrough. Ironically, we're trying the same thing with Little Miss. My mom started it, and she's doing great there. Of course my husband put her to bed tonight and didn't have her go potty after drinking a huge cup of water, so she piddled on herself while brushing her teeth. But she'll learn, right? Yay, Micah!

Andrea said...

Yeah!! Congrats Micah!! My three year old goes commando. If he wears underwear he will always have an accident. Today at the pool we had some incidents with him dropping his drawers to pee in the pool! Opps! I guess I will have to work on that, we are not used to being in a city.

The Sports Mama said...

Umm... don't most animals pee when they're scared?

Oh.. and I'm just slightly embarrassed to admit this one, but I read that statement, and thought at first it was about the faux froggy above.

This stupid job search is clearly killing what brain cells I had left.

Cecily R said...

I missed all the signs too at first with both my kids. Evie hasn't got a chance. Ugh. I am not looking forward to that whole part of mommyhood with her.

Your day sounds divine. And I am jealous. AGain.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for breakthroughs of any sort! Yeah for Micah! Yeah for beautiful summer nights!

Pam said...

yeah for Micah! He is getting the idea....hang in there patio!

Burgh Baby said...

I know just what your patio needs: an outhouse. Micah will instantly be totally potty-trained/1

Wineplz said...

yet another reason I'm not fond of reptiles and amphibians.

and yay for Micah! He obviously has been hanging around with the dogs alot if he knows that going in the house is not acceptable. :)

Wineplz said...

p.s. at least the patio hoses off pretty easily (well, after you remove the "solid waste").

Michelle said...

that's great that he was trying to let you know he had to go! Hope that continues!

imbeingheldhostage said...

We house trained son #1 on a camping trip-- he was able to go when he felt like it and no pressure from a scary white seat with a deep, deep hole.
Fun days ahead for you!

Flea said...

Yay! Congratulations!

caramama said...

Yeah for Micah giving the signals and for going outside! That's a great step! (or so I've been told)