Dogs, Ponies & Speaking Devices

This being the week that the kids are at camp and I've reverted back to having just one child, I had plans to get a very large shirt order finished. You know how many shirts I did today? Go ahead, take a guess. The one who correctly said ZERO would be the winner.

What did I do today? That would be a good question. I vaccinated and dewormed the puppies. Shockingly, this takes so much longer than I plan for. Catch a puppy, administer worm meds, mix vaccine dosages, inject, safely dispose of sharps, repeat x10. Then I get to record all of that in 10 little tiny puppy health records. And on my permanent record books. The bookkeeping will be the death of me someday. I'll be taking out an ad for a secretary in the local paper if anyone is interested.

This afternoon we took the ponies down to camp for the kids to ride. Thankfully the kids are over the age of wanting to come home with me. Instead they see me and kinda gravitate in another direction. Oh my word, it's my mom. Right here at camp in front of all my friends. Please don't let her call my name or embarrass me in any way.

After giving an entire camp full of kids pony rides we killed 2 hours and incurred one slight injury. The dramatic teen counselor is so sure her toe will need to be amputated next week because oh my gosh, the bone is sticking out! But upon close inspection by both myself and the nurse it was determined that she was stupid to lead a pony in flip flops. She's expected to make a full recovery but may not go home from camp asking her mom for a pony this year.

***************************

I tried in vain to contact the DynaVox company and finally gave up after getting the run-around. I went to Prentke-Romich and got much better customer service, but not very good news. I had fears this would be the case. I'm an instant gratification kind of person and apparently anything involved with Micah will never be instant.

I can rent a communicative device for $75/week but in reality a week won't tell me or anyone much of anything. I can get one free through a certified speech therapist. His therapist is not certified but can become so after a 10 week training and approval. I need to contact the preschool and his kindergarten therapists to see if they're on the approved list. I'm not having an easy time getting in touch with people over summer. This is the better route, even besides the obvious free thing. They would then be trained in the communicative devices and would have a better idea of which one would suit Micah. And have access to several different ones to try. Clearly the smarter route. And slower. Welcome to Holland.

But on an incredibly positive note, they're pretty sure that one of his insurances will cover the device should we decide to make a purchase. I'm flabbergasted, astounded and taken aback. I had no idea. And it makes me all teary again.

The Boy. He makes me cry when he does completely normal things like run through the yard and play in the sandbox, just like a regular kid. He makes me cry when he makes attempts to talk that people just can't understand except through the ear filters of love. He makes me cry because of all the wonderful people that we've had the pleasure of crossing paths with that love him nearly as much as I do. He makes me cry for no reason at all except that we've been blessed to be his parents.

Thank You, God. We are humbled beyond words. He's ours and we're incredibly blessed.

17 comments:

Quarantine Hobby said...

Oh, Karen..that was such a sweet post.

I'm so glad to hear that you are figuring out the best way to go about working with a communication device. I guess summer is just a rough time to get in touch with people!

It was wonderful to meet your family on Saturday. Micah was very sweet letting Alex play with one of his toys :) I could tell instantly that he was a wonderful child!

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

I'm so delighted for you on the Micah front. WONDERFUL news, K. And, I am getting NOTHING done lately. Join the club. Just be ready to start getting the pink out come Sept.

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I hope you get the device soon! I was just talking to another mom this weekend and she is fighting with the school to be able to bring theirs home. Her daughter uses it as school and it helps her there. That is a great picture of your blessing! I love to just sit and watch Peanut play. They are such amazing little gifts.

ClumberKim said...

Can the Children's Institute help? I think of that's first because it is in my neighborhood. You have probably investigated all the options.

Karen said...

Your day sounds incredibly busy to me. I am exhausted just reading about taking care of all the puppy stuff.

That is wonderful news about your insurance!!! Your Micah is a blessing. He is even a blessing to those of us who get to read about him.

Momisodes said...

That is wonderful news about Micah! I'm so glad to hear about the insurance :) I'm sure that was weighing on your mind.

On another note, 10 puppies? That sounds like a FULL day worth of work.

Michelle said...

Wow. Flip flops? I'll stick with wow. But hey, her parents may thank you.

Bummer about the Dynavox people. They were so convenient to you, too. Fingers crossed that your preschool people check in at some point. When does school start for you? Preschool/Kindergarten don't start until Tues after Labor Day for us, which still seems like awhile away, even though it isn't.

GREAT news about the insurance!

Caution/Lisa said...

Yeah for insurance! And yeah for people who let the Lord work through them by helping and loving our kids!

Burgh Baby said...

Insurance is so frequently nothing but a pain, I'm thrilled to hear that for once they are being useful. Good luck!

Madame Queen said...

We've been running into the same roadblocks about getting in touch with the school -- and it's not about anything nearly as important as Micah's issue, but boy it sure is frustrating. I really hope this works out for you!

AutoSysGene said...

Your posts about Micah always give me goosebumps! You all are so incredibly lucky to have one another!

Maria (also Bia) said...

Oh I do hope things work out. Micah is such a beautiful child and you are all blessed to have each other.

Enjoy your week. God bless.

Flea said...

Oh! I'm all verklempt! Did y'all cut his hair? He looks so grown up!

Andrea said...

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and Micah! I hope you get a speaking device soon!

Wineplz said...

Wow! I am so relieved to hear that insurance will cover the device!!! That is great news!!!

And I'm sure once Micah starts using a device, his communication skills will improve quickly...he seems right on the cusp. Probably helps that I barely know him but most times could figure out what he was trying to communicate to you or Sam (or anyone else). Like I mentioned, playing duck-duck-goose with him was a blast...what kid doesn't love to be chased around and tickled? :)

Michelle said...

I'm sorry you weren't able to get very far with either of the companies; hopfully a therapist in his school will be on that approved list and everything will work out for getting him one. Wonderful news to hear that insurance will probably cover it though! And now you're going to make ME cry!

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Only a mom of "special" ones knows how often we cry those "special" tears. I've been crying them for over twenty years and have lots more joyful tears ready at hand. The blessing really is beyond the scope of words ... your pic says so much more. Rejoicing with you! : )