That Just Turned Around and Bit Me

This week, after I take time to be saddened and a little bit frightened that I have a high schooler and my baby is in kindergarten, I planned to pretend that I was childless. It's been over 13 years since that has happened, and we all know that we don't appreciate things that we have until we lose them.

Free time? Booooriiiing. But throw a couple of kids into the equation and suddenly you're craving constipation so that you have all that toilet time to yourself. Truly, life is wasted on youth.

But then I checked the calendar and actually heard my glass dreams shatter around me. What was I thinking? Monday the farrier is coming for the horses and I need to do some farrier work on the ponies. That'll take the best part of the school day. Tuesday I work, and have resolved to work out again once the kids are in school. Again with the school day shot. Wednesday I pick up Micah from school, schlep him to speech therapy, get him lunch since he'll miss it as school, and schlep him right back. (I should probably get some errands run since I'm in town as well.) Thursday is a repeat of Tuesday. Oooh, look! That frees me right up on Friday to make some corn maze phone calls, make shirts, plan a party that Becky's been begging for (high schoolers!) and maybe get constipated so that I can have free time.

At least the kids won't be around to distract me from myself.

18 comments:

AZ Chapman said...

Is Micah going to be mainstreamed or in special ed kindergarten I hope no matter what he has a great day though

My Two Army Brats said...

I'm in your boat. I still can't work a regular job cause I have to take my oldest to OT 35 miles away every week during the school day. Besides I'll probably never get a week where one isnt sick. My new kindergarten kid missed two days last week and it was the first week of school.

I feel weird not having the company during the day but the responsibilities of being a SAHM are still there just without a kid tripping me up!

Unknown said...

I am down to one during the day -- I am just as busy as if they were all home -- go figure!!

Michelle said...

Corn maze? Do share on that one.

It's amazing how much our needs expand to fill in the time we have available. At least you know what you're doing.... I still don't know what Little Miss is doing for preschool next year. She's in private preschool 2 days a week, on the waitlist for 3 days a week (which throws my work, daycare and my mom-care AND outside activities into a bollox) and beign evaluated for Mister Man's special needs preschool not until Friday. School starts Tuesday. Eek! Friday at about 11am I'm sitting down with a blank sheet of paper and writing out all our schedules!

Good luck getting everything you need done!

Karen said...

Good luck on the constipation. That would not win me any alone time. They would all be banging at the door and making unwanted comments.

Karen Deborah said...

Ditto, constipation does not mean you get more time in the bathroom. It just means that some one will decide to bang on the door because you've been in there too long, and they want something from you, NOW.
It never stops until you die.

The Sports Mama said...

The long standing joke at my house? When I've been in the bathroom for any length of time that they all think might be longer than necessary? No one asks if I'm ok... oh no. They ask if I've finished that book yet!

Flea said...

What the heck is going on? My kids have been in school over a week and my calendar is FULL. What the heck?

Pam said...

hope everyone has a great first day-- you will be pretty busy without the kids!

AutoSysGene said...

Oof, sounds like you have a nice relaxing week planned! ;)

I hear bananas help increase bathroom time :)

Danyele Easterhaus said...

hooray for constipation! and who knew that having 'free time' could be so, well, busy!

on the flip side, i'm an older momma...with one 13 and a 3 others...and baby at 7 months...i may never know the busyness of free time until retirement. based on my dad, retirement has the same 'free time' as you!

HalfAsstic.com said...

Free time? Wha? Maybe....free...Tim? Is that what you were trying to say? Cause, I really have no idea what that other thing is... And I know you can relate, too!

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Please stop! My head is going to explode. I felt I didn't have enough to do so I decided to volunteer to be room mom for Peanut's class this year. When do I get to go to the spa or take golf lessons?

Darla said...

We still have a week before school starts. Our first open house was tonight, second one tomorrow night. Then a few days to digest the fact that summer is over before having to send kids off again.

Karen MEG said...

Karen, you're scaring me. As soon as the kids are in school (little G starts Jr. Kindergarten this year)... the real fun starts with a couple of work-work projects on top of everything else.

But honestly, let's not add constipation to the mix, 'kay ;)

OHmommy said...

Hope they had a good first day.

Shellie said...

I'm finding that there are whole new possibilities with the kids finally all in school all day, but there are even more things to do. I relate to this post a lot.

Beth said...

This year, I have a child in the Elementary , Middle, and High School...

Your life sounds like mine.. Tomorrow-- equine dentist time!