The Swimming Pond

We have flirted with the notion of putting a pond in for years. A large pond, a small pond, a pond with a waterfall, a pond for goldfish. We have discussed it all. And it all comes down to one single factor: Micah. A large pond was a drowning hazard, and everything else was just a headache waiting to happen. The boy throws things in water. It's what water is there for.

Last year I tried putting in a teeny tiny (Rubbermaid crate sized) pond and as I was lining the edge with rocks to hide the blue crate, he was right behind me pushing those rocks in. This happened twice before I joined him. It was apparent that I wasn't going to beat him. This is the water feature that we ended up with. While it's nothing I'd envisioned before, I did enjoy it.



We had no other plans to expand due to that one factor that still lives here and throws things in water. Those plans had no intentions of changing right up until I saw a pre-formed pond on clearance at a "if you don't buy me, you're an idiot" price. So I did. I'm no idiot. (We'll forget about the fact that apparently I'm willing to take on the Rock Thrower and attempt to win.)



Tonight we placed that thing lovingly near the patio. The boys found it all kinds of fun.



After we got it placed just so, the thought then occurred to me that Micah would use it for a swimming pool. That could be a problem. The poor fish wouldn't stand a chance. Nor would the water plants. And we've already discussed the surrounding rocks.



My brilliant husband asked me why on earth I was fighting it. Just make it a pool for Micah and be done with it.



So we are. We are making the waterfall just as we'd planned, and that will add to the fun for The Boy. This summer, we are installing a personal pool just for Micah. Maybe someday he'll let us use it for goldfish. When he's 20.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it crazy the things we do for our kids!! I am sure Micah will LOVE it. Beware he may never get out :)

Laski said...

And to think I was looking at tiny little slides for JR today.

I'm showing this to the daddy. He needs to understand just what GOOD parents do for their children.

You think the guilt might work in convincing him to go with the cool play set?

Michelle said...

Awww, you're such a sweet mommy. Can't wait to see the pictures of him enjoying his new playtoy. But ummm how is the earth there that unfrozen already? That doesn't seem quite fair!

the planet of janet said...

awww, sweet! there's nothing like water.

and rocks.

and micah.

Karen said...

You get mom of the year for this one. You are amazing. What a great idea!!!

Karen said...

Karen - Maybe that Mom of the Year will negate Children and Youth from confiscating my kids.

Burgh Baby said...

Wooohoooo! Pool, pond, whatever! Water will be fun!

Trisha said...

How fun for Micah - even before the water is in it!

The Sports Mama said...

Personally, I think you're an awesome puppy mama... that doggy drinking fountain you installed is fantastic! :)

justmylife said...

My parents have a goldfish pond with a waterfall, LM sits in it with the fish. They don't bother her too much and she hasn't killed them yet. Maybe Micah will share in a few years. Hope he enjoys it and maybe you can dip a foot or two in too.

Krista said...

I agree - I think it would be a losing battle. Why even go there?

HalfAsstic.com said...

Hahaha! If you can't beat 'em...
I think that's a grand idea. ;-)

just jamie said...

What good parents you are. A pool. Perfect. Better that than a dumpster. Or a laundry basket. Or a litter box. :)

KG said...

I'm impressed that you're actually attempting to landscape. The best part about living in a condo/townhouse thingie is that other people have to deal with the lawn. I have the black thumb of death.

imbeingheldhostage said...

You have to pick your battles, don't you?

Trying to pondscape a garden with Micah in attendance is kind of like me buying white bedding and white furniture with five kids...

Andrea said...

Love it!! LOL!! And just think, that pond is way cheaper than a real huge pool!! LOL!! Did you ever see that thing on tv where they use fish to eat the dead skin off your heels and feet??? Maybe you could get some of those, and then you could have bath time and pool time in one!! hee hee!! Okay, that probably wouldn't work at all......maybe I should get more sleep at night.

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

I love the idea of an irregularly shaped pool. I hope the smallest boy realizes how lucky he is to get such an amazing thing with a waterfall!!

Michelle said...

I love it! his own personal pool ;)