Fear Factor, Parenting Style

Do you remember way back before you had kids, and watched other people's kids do things that would freak you out? Things like pick their noses and eat it, or spit some chewed up nastiness into their mother's hand, or share their ice cream cone back and forth with the dog? And remember how you vowed that if you ever had kids that stuff would never happen in your family because you would be more on top of things as a mother?

Yeh.

Today we had the awesome summer lunch of grilled hot dogs and hamburgers. We ate at the picnic table because why have outdoor dining facilities if you don't use them in warm weather? Heaven knows that warm weather in the mountains is short enough as it is and you've got to take advantage of the forty days available to you.

So we're at the table and Micah sees an onion slice on my hot dog. The boy loves raw onions. Weird. He eats them, slice after slice, usually interspersed with things like cinnamon rolls at CiCi's. Even more weird. But hey, each to his own.

Micah snagged that onion slice right off my hot dog and popped it into his mouth like it belonged to him. Sam and I kinda looked at each other and grinned. Kids. There's no privacy or ownership in parenthood. Everything you have, including time, belongs to everyone else once you birth a child.

Micah chewed up that onion, and then decided that he wasn't in the mood for onions that day. He promptly spit it back out on my hot dog and continued eating his own lunch like nothing happened. I thought Sam was going to die laughing.

I just finished eating the hot dog because I'm a mom. That's what we do.

14 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

EWWWWWWW BLECH that kid gets away with BLOODY murder! OK that settles it, he is definitely spoiled rotten, no ands, if's or BUTTS..Definitely! As in mega, and you have a cast iron stomach. I am a nurse and excuse me while I go HURL! yeach bleach oh gawd you got me so bad that is so GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Molly said...

is it weird I'm not that grossed out by it? Dude, you made him and birthed him and whatnot. So your spit is related. so TECHNICALLY its just like he's playing mama bird and prechewing your food for you. He's really a thoughtful boy.

Krissa said...

Oh. Gawd. I never thought I'd be able to publicly talk about all the times my kids spit out their gum for me to chew while they ate something else.... They turn up their noses now when I tell them this. But, "it's a MOM THING".

the planet of janet said...

yummmmmmmmy!!!!

JennyH said...

Yuck! I would have at least scraped the chewed up stuff off! Not sure I know anyone else that likes raw onions.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

thats how we roll.....

Glitterstim said...

Okay, yeah...I'm grossed out. Something about saliva has always done that to me. Blood and autopsy photos I can handle, but spit? Nope. I know. I'm weird.

BUT I would have loved to have seen your face when he did that! I would have been laughing, too!

Enjoy those warm days! We're having an unusually cool June on the Western Slope. With so many people in my house right now, we're sending the kids to eat outside all the time.

Take care!
BJ

Mrs. Ohtobe said...

I think that clenches your Mother of the Year nomination!

AZ Chapman said...

good thing he is cute

boys

AZ Chapman said...

good thing he is cute

boys

KG said...

I respect it.

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

As you say, "To each his own" or her. I'd have given that hotdog to the dogs and gotten another one. I love Peanut and all, but I have my limits. :)

Two Shorten the Road said...

Hilarious.

I wonder if I'll do that someday. Right now, I think no. But you never know. :)

Unknown said...

Still laughing here!!! LOVE IT!