The State of the Dishes

Among other things, my mom got the kids dishes for Christmas last year. The two younger boys each got one; Luke's has Tony the Tiger and Micah's has Woody featured on the side. They're cute, and dishwasher safe. Love it. I tossed them into the bin with the kids other dishes and they've been used in the rotation frequently.

Micah has that whole I'll Do Things My Way thing going on, and mostly we don't poke the beast. Eating falls right smack dab in the middle of this huge category of his, so when his Voice tells me EAT CEREAL I ask him to get the cereal that he wants, the bowl that he wants, and the spoon that he wants. I give him the choice of applesauce or milk to moisten the cereal with, and life is happy.

I broke protocol the other day and chose his Woody dish for him. He'd be happy. Except he wasn't. The nerve! How could I possibly know what he wanted? He searched and dug through the dish bin and never did find what he wanted. As he was looking, I walked away to accomplish something other than waiting. When he found what he needed, he'd come get me.

He did. He chose Luke's Tony the Tiger dish. It was sitting on the counter waiting for me to fill it.

I fixed his cereal to his specifications, he took it, and life went on.

It was sometime after he'd finished his cereal and I was washing the dishes that I realized the dish he ate from was taken directly from the sink. Not finding what he wanted in the clean dishes, he turned to the dirty ones. I fed my child out of a dirty dish and didn't even realize it. Most likely because a dog had licked it clean before it got put in the sink.

Micah gets colds, but I have to say that the boy is quite healthy otherwise. He probably has enough immunities built up to visit a third world country and drink the water without ever being affected.

Boys are kinda gross.

14 comments:

Wineplz said...

Holy crap are those puppies adorable!

JennyH said...

HA!! I hate to think it but I bet we have eaten off of licked clean dishes before. You know, with the kids help a dish has probably been put in the clean dishwasher when it wasn't or something. But I'd rather not know for sure! You DO know Micah did it-- and yeah, it's kinda gross and funny at the same time!

Cynthia said...

Oh those puppies!

Viv said...

Puppies should come first, post second...I had to go back and reread, because puppies turn my mind to mush.

Just today my daughter unearthed a dirty tupperware container from my son's bookbag, which she put her yogurt melts in before I could stop her. eeeuuuuwww.

Anonymous said...

A boy's got to do what a boy's got to do! And 99% of the time, it will be gross.

The Sports Mama said...

Um... KINDA gross?

Just wait til you meet mine....

HalfAsstic.com said...

Micah has the inside view of a kid who knows what's good for him and what's not! OK. Not all the time...
But you and I both know that while we would never put up dishes licked clean by the dogs, they aren't diseased either. And neither is anyone, you know,... loved on by them. ;-)

Flea said...

Boys ARE gross. Puppies are so CUTE!!! Me wants!

Keri said...

You're my hero.

I've told you that before, right?

It's still true!

EVILMOMMY said...

in our house - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger......

and

there is no 5 second rule - if you get to it before the dog it's yours. pretty much never beat the dog! haha!

HalfAsstic.com said...

Yes, boy's are kinda gross, but, my girls are always teasing and saying that the dogs lick the plates so clean, (if they are given a chance), that we don't have to wash them.
My response? "OK, just put them up in the cabinet, then!" Heh. They wouldn't dare!

Michelle said...

Boys are TOTALLY gross :) But I keep reminding myself of the things I did as a kid and that I survived and am totally find now, too.

Applesauce with cereal though, huh? That's a twist I have not yet tried. And I think I might leave it that way, too! ;)

just jamie said...

Awesomeness.

Karen Deborah said...

GAH do they really start that young?