Shopping for Maternity Wear

When you walk into a maternity boutique with your 15 year old daughter and your 57 year old friend, the saleslady automatically focuses all her attention on the teenager. This is a sad sign of our times.

Granted, the 57 year old is not the obvious customer, and apparently, even looking 10 years younger than I am, I look too old to be having another child. Or maybe it's because I have a teen with me and they assume that one just doesn't space their children that far apart. Or maybe it's just because I had a teen with me.

I don't look that old, right? Right?!



And does my daughter look promiscuous?



You'd better answer no. Of course, if you think she does, maybe I'd better hear it from you instead of total strangers. So yeh (deep breath), be honest.

While my 57 year old friend was shopping for pants with a panel to go well over her abdomen so the waistband wouldn't lie on her incision site from cancer surgery, I found a new favorite place to shop. Sad, but true. Maternity was made for high waisted, big chested girls. That's me.

But all that aside, what family would show up en-masse to buy maternity clothing for their unwed, pregnant 15 year old? Who in their right mind says, "hey, let's invite Grandma to go maternity shopping for our licentious daughter!"

Yoi. And double yoi.

14 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

Karen You gave me a near heart attack I thought you were announcing YOUR pregnancy!!!!! Which would be just fine, and no you don't look old at all, but holy cow what a way to spring it! you did clear up the issue. That is brilliant on the part of your friend who has a sore abdomen, why haven't I thought of that?

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

You are young and lovely but you really aren't aloud to shop in the maternity store for yourself. Also - nursing bras - just say no.

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

aloud or allowed
Your pick.

Karen said...

Lisa - I swear the sweater is flattering. My teen daughter wholeheartedly approved. And yes. Just say NO to the undergarments.

Katy said...

Your teen looks fine, but she could also be twenty and married--it's hard to tell these days.

Carol N. said...

I thought you were preggers too, you stinker!

You look very young and your daughter looks like a mature, responsible, lovely girl.

Now, no more shocks, okay?

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Wow!! you almost topped Sarah's scare today. I thought too you were announcing. Now I must say, you do certainly look young enough to be preggers, and you're daughter...well best not go there...I've been watching too much MTV lately. Those 16ers give life a different meaning.

Aimee said...

You'd be mighty surprised at how many people bring the whole fam shopping for their teenager's pregnancy. When I was in the maternity store while I was pregnant with Mopsy, a visibly pregnant teen, her mother, grandmother, and her younger sister all came in to look over the new duds.

And Becky is lovely, and so are you. :)

(And I know this comment is like a blast from the past. I've been away so long!)

Sarah said...

Your daughter doesn't look promiscuous, but in that picture she also doesn't look 15.
Some people are really bad judges of age, too. I walked into a music shop when I was 16 with my 7yr old brother in tow and the cashier asked me if he was my son.

Burgh Baby said...

The key is that Becky could pass as older. You could tell me she's 20 or 21 and I wouldn't be positive it was a lie because it's getting harder and harder to pick out ages of teens anymore.

Trisha said...

I have to agree that Becky could pass for older and you could certainly pass for younger.

caramama said...

Yeah, I thought you were announcing your pregnancy, too! Holy moley, woman! Not fair!

You and Becky both are lovely. And these days, it could be an older woman or a teen having a baby. The age span for having babies seems so wide to me now.

JennyH said...

I did a post for you on my blog.

Flea said...

So wait. You and Becky are sisters? What? And she's preggers? And grandma's buying underwear? What just happened here?