Interpreting I-Ya And Other Milestones

Micah has a lot of words, the problem is that mostly we don't understand them. Slowly, slowly, I'm learning to listen and hear. It's like learning a new language. So today I learned a new word in Micah-ese. He's been saying I-Ya forever. He'll use it when he wants a turn at doing something, or when he's pointing to the last piece of pizza. (Among other times.) I took it to mean "I will" or something along that line. But today as he was pointing to a picture of himself, he said "I-Ya." Duh. Micah. My light bulb finally clicked on. I learned a new word.

My light bulbs have been clicking more and more often. I am sure that Micah is thinking, "it's about time, mom." He's getting more and more confident in his speech, too. Probably because I'm finally understanding him. I love his confidence. What was once a few words here and there with a lot of yelling and grunting is now *words interspersed with the occasional yell and grunt. (*Micah words, not clear or understandable words.)

And tonight, for the first time ever, he asked to talk on the phone. He's been fascinated with the concept for a year or so now, but he just wouldn't talk when we gave him the phone. And that was an upgrade from running away when we asked him to talk. But tonight, as I was on the phone, he asked for a turn. He signed for me to hand the phone over. He impatiently held out his hand. If he could have, he would have snapped his fingers. When I still didn't comply, he pointed to his ear, then to the phone. And when I was able to tell my mom that Micah wanted to talk, I couldn't get it back. He walked around chatting and waving his free hand like a pro.

First phone conversation: Seven and a half years old.

8 comments:

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Sweet, sweet, I-Ya, you give me hope! We're still in the grunting and yelling stage, but I know we'll get there.

Burgh Baby said...

I kinda love that Micah was all, "Woman, you're going to learn to speak MY language," instead of the other way around. I like how he thinks.

Flea said...

Ooohhhh! Make me cry, why doncha! I love that he says his own name!!!

Keri said...

BIG GRINS!!!

The Sports Mama said...

I'm willing to bet that Grandma got off the phone in tears and wearing a big, silly grin because of that milestone, too.

Michelle said...

Awe-Some! (Again) I love love love love LOVE this. How proud was everyone? I love that he's adding so significantly to his vocabulary - and you to yours! :)

imbeingheldhostage said...

Awesome! How sweet and it's so cool you got a photo :-)

Roger Miller said...

I-Ya is the best! I wonder where he got all those motions from. :-)