Why Do I Make Lists?

I had a list of chores that I wanted to do once the kids were in school this year. Why yes, I am talking about last September. Things like wash windows (inside and out), defrost the upright freezer, clean out all the kitchen drawers. You know, things that you should do far more often than they really get done. I figured when the kids were in school, I'd take the time and do them.

I was wrong.

I know the kids still have a few months of school left, but between you and I, if I haven't done those chores in the past 7 months, why would I suddenly feel the urge to do them in the next 2?

I am so frustrated with myself over that whole "defrost the freezer" one though. My plan was to set all the food outside in the cold over winter so it didn't thaw and let the freezer defrost itself with an open door. And it isn't like this winter hasn't been cold enough to oblige me. I get an A+ in Dropping The Ball. I should also be sat in the corner with a dunce hat.

Maybe I should make a list of things that I won't get done over summer now that school is almost over. That way I can look back this fall and say, "what do I do with my time?" Except I know what I do with my time. I work pretty much like every other woman - from the time my feet hit the floor in the morning until my head hits the pillow at night. I do things for other people. It's what women do. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's an act of love when I do the same chores repeatedly even though everyone in the house is perfectly capable of doing those things for themselves. Besides, these are the days I'll look back on someday and sigh wistfully as I say, "wow, those were the good old days." Right?

So really, I'm living the high life now. Rock on.


1 comment:

Cindy said...

Oh I can so relate to this. I was just talking to a friend this morning about how there never seems to be enough hours in the day. I am learning to let go of the guilt though. I can't do it all and need to stop trying!