The Hallowthanksmas Holiday Season Is Upon Us

I'm seeing a trend across the Internet. This trend seems to think that it's okay to take down Halloween decor and instantly put up Christmas decor. I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I love me some Christmas. On the other, I also love me some Thanksgiving and separate holidays and all that jazz.

The kids forbid me to put up a tree before Thanksgiving, so we know where they stand at least.

But that won't stop me from planning and plotting, right? Right. I've been trolling Pinterest in earnest, looking for ways to make this magical or change that up. Right now, I'm very excited about all things Christmas, which would make sense to bring the forest of trees down from the attic, and stack the living room full of the Giant Boxes of Wonder that hold all my red and green and gold and silver holiday jingle and sparkle. I mean, if I wait, and this excitement passes, those Giant Boxes of Wonder very quickly turn into Giant Boxes That Suck The Life From Your Soul. It's a daunting task to spread that much joy in a home that is limited on space. Although now that my sewing room is in the basement, you can bet that I'll be setting a tree in the basement, too. Just because I can.

I do have an ulterior motive in setting up the Christmas Merry early this year. I have puppies due the week before Thanksgiving and the week of Thanksgiving. Two litters. Odds are that I'll bottle feed at least one litter if not both, because that's the kind of luck that I have with raising puppies lately. I'm also a little stressed over this because the litter I raised this summer was, hands-down, the single most stressful event in my life due to all the circumstances that went into that and surrounded it. I still hyperventilate a little bit in my head when I think back on that.

So if I'm bottle feeding wee darling babies, that means I'll have zero time or energy to decorate the house, and Christmas will come and go and the closest I'll get to having a tree to put gifts under will be all the boxes of Christmas Merry stacked in a corner of the living room waiting to be unpacked. They will reach to the ceiling if I stack them on top of each other. Some are red and green, so it could be festive if we imagine it to be. Mostly I imagine myself getting more than 90 minutes of sleep at a time when I'm feeding wee darling babies, and I stumble around like a zombie pretending that I'm a functioning adult being responsible for feeding and caring for a family.

In reality, I send the kids to the store for canned milk and yogurt to make more puppy formula with because I can't afford the time away, or I fear falling asleep behind the wheel. Of course there was that one time I was at Walmart at 1:00 AM because I ran out of formula making supplies and I lack forethought and planning sometimes when I'm living in a zombified state. I ended up with a girdle for the dog, too, because she needed it. But that's a story for another day.

I'm not complaining about this. It's the life I choose, and I love my puppies. I'm stating facts. And I'm also stating that if you see Christmas lights twinkling in our windows and my house is sporting wreaths in the windows, don't judge me. I'm just trying to get things done while I can.

Merry Thanksmas, everyone.



No comments: