Like A Boss

Micah complained about something in his mouth this evening as he was having a snack after church. A quick look from dad revealed a loose tooth. A quick wiggle from me revealed that it was quite loose indeed. I simply extracted my finger and walked away. Micah's previous experience with loose teeth ranged in the "what just fell out of my mouth" arena, and he has tossed them in the trash can or kicked them under shelves in aisles at Walmart. Yes, I was then on my hands and knees fishing it out because I didn't want some  store employee finding that when they swept. This is the part of parenthood nobody tells you about when you're excitedly expecting your first child. It ranks up there with catching vomit in your hands. Nobody knows why moms do these things, but it's programmed into our DNA somehow.

After Micah's snack, I made him brush his teeth and get pajamas on, then sent him to bed. Thankfully the tooth didn't come out yet. It wasn't loose enough to swallow while he slept, so that was a blessing.

And then he came into our room, proudly holding his tooth in his fingers. He had already shown Luke and Josh, he was that thrilled with himself. He really has no idea that pulling a tooth is a celebratory thing. In Micah's world, he just fixed a problem. His nail is chipped? Get the nail clippers. A tag bothers him in a shirt? Cut it out. A tooth wiggles? Pull it. Simple solutions to life's problems.

I'm also grateful that it didn't bleed much, because he's never happy when he sees his own blood. He's not freaked out, but it goes back to the Simple Easy Fix thing. Can he stop it? No? OH MY GOSH IT'S STILL BLEEDING. The fact that he thinks band aids are worse than the original injury make life so much more difficult for us. So again, I'm grateful that it didn't bleed much, when he pulled that loose tooth.

I'm thinking boys with Down syndrome who pull their own teeth like bosses are entitled to $5 gift cards from Sheetz. I'm sure he'll agree.


1 comment:

Cindy said...

This was great! My granddaughter is sleeping near me as I read this and I tried to quietly roar as I read 'the things they don't tell you about parenting'. SO funny!! And so true!

I'm glad this tooth came out with a little more fanfare. :)