Life Goals of 2016

Resolutions are for those who have intentions of keeping them. That's pretty much not me. I mean well, but that's different than keeping resolutions. I just struggle with that. I also think that it's kind of like a diet. In your mind, you already know it's going to be nearly impossible, so you mentally sabotage yourself before you even start, dooming yourself to failure in the end.

Resolutions aren't for me. If they're for you, you've got far more initiative than I do, and I greatly admire you.

While we're on the subject of resolutions and other life milestones, I do not have a bucket list, either. This is less because I fear sabotaging my adventures, and more because I have always had the attitude that life is an amazing adventure already without having to think up crazy things to do. There are those who would look at my life and call it crazy boring, with a complete lack of bungee jumping and sky diving and whatnot, but those things aren't my cup of tea anyway. My bucket list things get crossed off as I put them on it. Like our European adventure last year. (Guys, I'm going to talk about that trip for the rest of my life. I'm sorry in advance. But honestly, it was truly a trip of a lifetime.) Going on a European adventure was never something I had on a Life To-Do list, but I added it and checked it right off in 2015. Also having a son with Down syndrome. That's been checked off for pushing 13 years now. Who would have guessed I'd want that on my Life's Most Amazing Things list? Not me, that's who. I just don't do lists, because that's limiting God. I prefer to wait on Him and see what fun things He wants to bring my way. They're always far, far more exciting than anything I would choose to do.

(That being said, I do aspire to write a book someday. Call it a bucket list goal or just a life dream. Either way, I'm patiently waiting on God's timing for this. And it it never happens, its because better things are coming my way.)

I also have some goals that I'd like to accomplish in 2016. I've taken the last few months to evaluate almost every aspect of my life, and have already made some changes that were needed. I don't generally wait until January 1st if something needs to happen. But this is, admittedly, a great time to think about the future.

I'd like to run a 5K. I was actually signed up to run one in 2015, but a craft show clashed with that date and I chose to make money instead of have fun. It's been on my to-do list for a few years, so i's time I made that happen. I'm looking at a few races in particular that allow your dog to run with you. I am the Crazy Dog Lady, after all. (I should totally get a shirt that says that, and run my 5Ks in them.)

Also, 2015 gave me the best 5K shirt ever! While I didn't run a 5K in the athletic sense, I did run one in the administrative sense. I was part of a team that put on the Jurassic 5K, and the t-shirts sport a T-rex chasing runners. I love that thing.

My good camera needs more love. That thing used to be attached to me. I called it my extra child. My children knew not to touch it, lest they die. Sadly, I was far too busy last year with things like craft shows and candle making and networking to take photos often, and it sat and actually collected dust between usages. That is sad to me. My photo album from 2015 will be a thin one. I plan to use my cell phone less (for photos) and my Canon more. I want to preserve memories forever in good digital pixels.

Being healthier is a good thing. I'm not old, but old enough to think about my health in ways that I didn't previously. Running a 5K should help with this, with training and whatnot. I discovered the joys of yoga last year, and would love to do more of that. It's an easy exercise for someone who is not athletic. I would like to eat healthier, too. That's been easier for me recently thanks to Becky, who has taken over the cooking here. She is an excellent cook, and a health fanatic to boot. She makes everything from scratch and uses healthy alternatives to things like vegetable oils and sugars. I'm grateful.

I need more nature time. I was far too busy with indoor work last year to be outside much. I didn't garden at all. My kids weeded the gardens, and I did nothing. This isn't good. I find gardening to be therapeutic. Nature is my happy place. I want to spend more time there, de-stressing, relaxing, and becoming a better person for my family to be around. As a bonus, I get closer to God in His creation.

Biking would be a wonderful thing. Between the weather and my craft show schedule last year, the motorcycle barely saw road time. That's unfun. I hope to see 2016 with Sam and I touring all over the tri state area, I'd love that. Our Christmas gift from the kids was an intercom system so that we can talk to each other as we ride, so we have to use the bike more now, right? I'd also like to bicycle more, too. My bicycle barely saw daylight last year.  That's not good at all. Being healthier would support bike riding. It's a win.

Huge life goals these are not, but fun things nonetheless. Or needful things, if we're talking about being healthier. You'll notice I didn't say "diet and exercise" or "lose X amount of pounds." I don't want to feel like a failure if I come up 5 pounds short of a goal. I want to focus on the positive, not the negative.

Positive thinking is also a great life goal for 2016. I'm generally an optimist, but I find myself, on occasion, being a Debby Downer. If someone is nearby me when this unfortunate state of mind hits, please slap me.

May 2016 be the year of Happy and Healthy for us all.


No comments: