Everyone Has a Strange Collection, Right?

We had Micah's IEP meeting last week. I know a lot of families cringe at these things, and other than the fact that TWO HOURS LATER I was out of there, I have to say that I'm blessed with a very good team at the school. Everyone has Micah's best interest as their main goal, and everyone seems to work together and collaborate on things. This collaboration is a huge thing.

Micah needed to be a part of the meeting this year, because of his age. He was allowed to use the white board to entertain himself, and when that grew old, he borrowed my phone and took a video of the meeting. That is some boring content right there. I'm not going to share it. I laughed when I discovered it, however.

I also laughed when his teacher stopped the discussion at hand to say, "I have to ask. What does Micah do with the water that he takes home?"

Micah can't have milk at school, due to a lactose intolerance, so he gets juice and water choices. I get notes that he drinks juice like it's going to be taken off the market, and I get 2 small water bottles in his lunch box at the end of each day. The first time Micah brought home a water bottle, he said it was from lunch, and that was that. A few days later, he brought home 2 water bottles, and couldn't wait to open his lunch box to show me. He was crazy proud of them.

This became a thing with Micah. Five days a week, he brings home 2 bottles of unopened water. He is so excited to open that lunch box and present us his take-home pay from lunch. We are very confused why he brings them home, and apparently the school is, too. Nobody seems to know why Micah is so excited about collecting these. The school asks him and gets, "Home!" We ask him and get, "School!" So that's largely unhelpful.

We scratched our heads in wonderment, trying to figure out what to do with the growing collection. My first thought was returning them to the school to recycle back into the lunch line, but I'm fairly certain there are strict rules against things like this in the food industry. We then decided to use them, as the occasion arose. I'd tuck one in my purse if I was heading out for the day, or snag one for a run on the treadmill. This, however, was met with great disapproval and much yelling, so we learned that the water was most likely considered a trophy of sorts, rather than the thought that Micah was bringing something to the family table. Maybe it was a visual of how much time he spends in school?

Guys, we have shelves full of water bottles in the basement.

We have vacation plans this summer at a lake house that insists we bring our own drinking water. I am now thinking that Micah is genius for bringing home water bottles, and am hoarding those tiny offerings like the clear liquid gold they really are. Micah brought something to the family table, after all. Let's just hope he allows us to drink it, when we're going to need it most.

And in reality, it's going to take up a WHOLE lot less room in the car to just buy a few gallon jugs of water, so we're still set for a zombie apocalypse, in the event one should ever happen.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh my. Yep, there was a time Beth collected water bottles. Her dresser and book shelves were covered with them. Another time she collected batteries, AA and AAA batteries, hundreds of them in little baggies all over her room. As she's gotten older it's stopped for the most part
(she still likes batteries but is willing to only buy a few at a time. She does use them in her CD player and flashlights but she likes to have extras.) I'll pray he lets you take those bottles on vacation!

Preppy Mountain Farmer said...

That's too funny. At least you know that if you ever lose power for an extended time and don't have access to well water, you've got a backup supply that's safe to drink. Think of it as a form of insurance.