I've Matured

It's amazing what pregnancy does to a woman. I had no idea. I figured I'd put on a few pounds after kids, but how was I to know that my entire skeletal system would change? My hips are wider and will never fit into those single digit jeans again. My feet are wider. My hair DNA changed. My stomach does not rumble when it's hungry anymore. (Weird, I know.)

After the birth of our first child, my pastor's wife lovingly said I look so "matronly." Cringe. The word brings to mind a hefty Russian grandmother who could chop wood all day while toting grandbaby on her back in a pouch. Don't get me wrong, my pastor's wife meant well, and was complimenting me in her own dear way. It just wasn't what a 24 year old new mom needed to hear.

And take this conversation that transpired in our van:

Daughter: My feet are as big as mom's. I can wear her shoes. Except my feet are skinny and hers are fat.
Son: Her feet are not fat.
(Give that boy a gold star!)
Daughter: Well, they're not fat. But they're really wide.
Son: No, they're not!
Mom: Yes, they are wide.
Daughter: That's because they're more mature.

So there you have it. I've got mature feet. And mature hips and arms and thighs. I may as well face it, I'm matronly.

7 comments:

Bee said...

Hee hee....I can relate. I think this happens so we can be better huggers - right?

Anonymous said...

But you're a mom and that's beautiful!

bencandance said...

Yes, it happens unfortunately. And unless you want to spend an hour at the gym each day, you just have to love yourself! right? Right!

http://bencandance.blogspot.com/

MoonNStarMommy said...

HA HA HA... no we're streched out from growing humans in our wombs!! LOL...

{{HUGS}}

I forgot to add to one of my other notes... isn't it fun having boys?? Those bodly function comments in the middle of a crowded room are the BEST... especially when they are announcing it! BLAHHHHHH!!

Amanda said...

yay for Son for sticking up for mommy, and then daughter saved it at the end, hehe

Anonymous said...

I'll join you in the matronly look... as if I have a choice, eh? LOL Gotta love kids. But do we have to love what they've done to our bodies?!?!?! ;)

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today. :)

Anonymous said...

Kids say the darndest things :)