Learning Through The Years

Micah is going for his long-awaited tonsillectomy tomorrow. We've pretty much made it an annual event to have surgery mid-summer. We're crazy like that.

It all started so innocently when he was 4 months old and had his adenoids removed. I'll tell that fun story another day. That was the end of a very long 4 months that taught us that you never know what to expect with this miracle child we were blessed with. We no longer think of any doctor appointment as routine. Which just makes yesterday par for the course.

The next year we were there for his very first set of ear tubes (we fondly think of those as other parents think of a first tooth, or taking a first step) and a urological procedure. And then we mixed things up a bit and decided to install tubes #2 and #3 at Christmas two years running. That gave us a much better appreciation for how healthy our own children were. There are kids having surgery at Christmas to save thier lives. Gifts don't matter to them. There are kids there having chemo. Family is what matters most, not what's under the tree. We're blessed indeed.

Last year we had tubes #4 installed late summer. Those things lasted a record-shattering 5 months, and then we started working to get this surgery set up.

So tomorrow is this year's annual trip to Children's for the cutting upon of our child. At some point we're really hoping that he can hear without tubes, and all his optional parts are removed so that he can go a lifetime without this ever happening again.

But in the meantime, we're so very grateful for our healthy child. Yes, he has surgery a little too frequently. But there are others who are so much worse. We know that our son is a medical miracle as far as Downs is concerned, and we thank God every time we're at Children's.



Our little man is so carefree and oblivious to things like this. I hope he always is.

******************************

An update from yesterday's tests result is: nothing much. Yeh, it's been an interesting day of dealing with everybody. The preliminary tests show a moderate staph infection, but the 48 hour test will show whether it's MRSA or not. I learned today that MRSA is a variety of staph. The pediatrician is adamant that it will not affect surgery in the least, but Children's really didn't know. Their advice was drive the 2 hours and then talk to the doctor about it when we get there. You know, with the child that hasn't eaten anything since midnight and will be ready to kill and ingest anyone that gets in his way. Our scheduled time of arrival? 10:45. What are these people thinking? It's gonna be the most fun morning ever.

30 comments:

ClumberKim said...

Ugh. Some people just don't THINK!!! Or they don't have children.

I'll be right up the street if there's anything I can do to help.

KG said...

Ugh - staph? Really? Just catching up now on reading blogs . . . so much for my HFM theory. I hope he can go and have the hacking done . . .

Also - remove his appendix, gall bladder, and wisdom teeth while you're at it!

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

"all his optional parts are removed so that he can go a lifetime without this ever happening again" LOL! I know what you mean, though. When we were in the hospital before Christmas last year it was hard and a little scary, but nothing compared to what many people were going through.

I hope it all goes well tomorrow and you don't starve your child and make that drive for nothing. What a mess.

Michelle said...

Oh, Karen. So not fun! Little Miss has tubes, but knock on wood, they're still in (we're going on two years with them). I can't believe you have to wait until 10:45. When she had hers done, she was out of there before 8am. Poor guy -- and you, too!

And the staph is so not fun. Now of course you have me worried about the constant diaper rash that Little Miss has... and has had forever. And we can't get rid of. And now that she's (mostly) potty trained really should be going away, right? Fingers crossed it's easily treatable AND that you got the tubes in today!

Andrea said...

Oh man!! That drive sounds horrible!!! I hope, just maybe he will sleep???? Good luck!!

Karen said...

Micah has the cutest little back side. I feel your pain. My son is almost 7 now, but he had his first surgery at 12 days old and quite a few since then. We still know he has a least one more left in the future. I was so glad when he was old enough to have the pre-surgery "cocktail." Oh, he was still hungry, but he could care less after the "magic little drink." I hope all goes smooth for you both tomorrow.

The Sports Mama said...

So I just got caught up on all the dramedy in your corner of the 'Burgh. Turns out, you hadn't gotten entered into my newly formed reader list. I'm blaming either the dogs or the boys for distracting me from doing it right, as in no way could it have been the fault of my ineptitude.

However, in getting caught up, I see that the bumps have been quasi-diagnosed, which is good. And surgery should go off without a hitch, which is also good.

Should you find yourself in need of a texting buddy while you're hanging in the waiting room.... I've got the perfect phone for receiving those suckers! :)

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

We're praying for Micah today!!! Thanks for including Kennedy!

Quarantine Hobby said...

I hope everything turns out okay! MRSA or plain ol' staph sounds like either way they'll have it taken care of. Just with different antibiotics, right?

I'll be thinking of you and Micah today.

Leanne said...

Oh for gosh sakes. GOOD LUCK.

My youngest was in intensive care for a week at fourteen months. We knew she would get better, but there were a TON of kids in there whose parent's didn't know that.

The experience changed me and my priorities for the rest of my life.

Prayers for you and for all you meet this week.

Cynthia said...

Oh my...I hope all goes well for you today...{{hugs}}

Momisodes said...

Ugh, my thoughts are with you and Micah today. I hope everything goes well. Good luck. *hugs*

Unknown said...

Good Luck today!! I hope all goes well.

Love the picture!!!!

Burgh Baby said...

This might be the most twisted thing I've ever written, but I really hope your kid gets sliced open today (and that all goes well). Delaying things any more would certainly suck.

Good luck!

caramama said...

Good luck today! I hope that it all goes smoothly.

Anonymous said...

oooh, i'm just trying to catch up. good luck with everything!

lindsey said...

Best of luck! I love the pic!

Don Mills Diva said...

So sorry Karen - hope everyone goes okay today...

Flea said...

Everything will go swimmingly. Really. My Little Guy's having tonsils and adenoids out next Wednesday, so I'll be keeping a close eye on your blog. :) But he'll be fine, Karen.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Hoping all goes well! Good luck!!!!!!!

ALF said...

That picture is priceless.

Best of luck tomorrow!

Kellan said...

He is so darling - running around in his Birthday suit like that - HA! I will keep hin in my thoughts and prayers - the little darling! Take care - Kellan

Anonymous said...

I will be thinking of you and Mr. Micah! (Tomorrow? Today? I am a day behind I think. Either way, lots of good thoughts coming your way!)

I hope the MRSA-issue is a non-issue . . . if he doesn't having it going in, chances are he may get it before coming out - that's how germy hospitals are!

AutoSysGene said...

Good luck! I'll be thinking about y'all!

Madame Queen said...

I'll be thinking about you! Try to keep your fingers out of his mouth, or even in his general direction, just in case he gets too hungry.

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

Oy vey! Thinking of you!

kimmy said...

Love the picture...I have several like that of my children too.

I'll be thinking of you!

Kimmy

Aimee said...

Oh Lordy, mama! I'll be praying for you and Micah - it is not fun to be on the wrangling end of a child who has been starved for anesthesia's sake ;)

We got the good word yesterday that Fiver does not need another set of tubes - at least not this summer. We'll check again in the Fall, but we seem to be homefree for now (*knock wood*)

Wineplz said...

oh hey, just saw your tweet that you just posted so I feel like whichever sentiment I offer I will be wrong.

so hope Micah got surgery and it went well...guess I'll go check your newest post. ;)

Spammon said...

I already read that the surgery was canceled. At LEAST he gets to look forward to all the Ice Cream he can eat in a month eh?