Better Luck Next Time

Today was one of those interesting days that I would describe as a love/hate relationship if it involved a food. Well, food is involved in every one of my days but you know what I mean.

Micah's staph infection (which is just that and not MRSA) was a slight concern to me with him going into surgery and even though the pediatrician assured me that it would be fine and pose no problems since he would be on antibiotics afterward anyway, I still worried a bit. After all, it wasn't the pediatrician doing the surgery.

So I called Children's last night before bed to see what they had to say about it. They consulted with the nurses on call-duty and they all said it should be fine. If he's scheduled to show up later in the morning maybe I should call and check with the surgeon to be sure.

So I called again this morning. I explained the circumstances, and very clearly told them that I had a 2 hour drive ahead of me and I'd rather not waste the gas if they were going to cancel. They completely understood. The surgeon talked with the anestheologist and they both came to the conclusion that all should be well. If they saw any red flags after he was there just be warned that he'd be sent home without injury being inflicted upon him. Sounded fair to me, so off we went.

We were halfway there, and just got off the toll road when they called our cell to say that the surgeon suddenly didn't think it was a good idea. Did I tell you she was a freakazoid, or what?

After watching steam come out of Sam's ears and see the windows fog up, I didn't have the heart to say "I feel better about it anyway." I mean, really. Common sense is just screaming at me to not make an open wound when there's a staph infection present. Maybe it's just me though.

The biggest concern is that I told them he was hoarse. Why, yes. He was swimming in 65 degree weather yesterday. And I told them that. But he was a bit hoarse the day before, and had a staph outbreak in his nostril. That's dangerously close his throat, and I fear there's an infection raging in the deep, dark depths somewhere behind those enlarged tonsils.

Never fear, we've got ourselves armed with nasty tasting cherry colored meds and I will be dosing him twice a day for the next 10 days. He's scheduled to try again on August 6.

So in the great game of What Did You Do Today? We drove to Pittsburgh to have lunch. And Micah tried his darndest to teach himself to swim this afternoon. It was warmer than 65 degrees.

23 comments:

Andrea said...

I can't believe the Dr. did that! They should have said no to begin with. Sometimes I wonder about those doctors. Are they just to busy sometimes?
We went to our normal family dr. when my son's foot had a strange spot on the bottom of it, the Dr. just said to treat it like a wart. So, I did. A week later it was still all red, so we went to a foot dr. where he pulled out a peice of metal!! Nice!!
Love the Hair Micah!!

Bluepaintred said...

OMG! I love his sticky up hair in this picture!


And also? Is there no other doctor you can see? Cus really, what a whack job!

Colleen said...

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH! I knew I'd be wrong! grr...

and dude? your doctor? way more than freakazoid...more like schizoid!!!! "yes! no! who are you? who am I???"

Well, I hope the pink stuff cures his ills. Cooper luuuuuurrrves his...and gets mad when the syringe is empty. Maybe Micah will be encouraged/motivated by the site of a chubby bay-buh takin' his pink stuff? I got video... :)

Otherwise, we'll be countin' down to 8/6/08 with you!

Michelle said...

Yay, no MSRA! That's a huge relief. And good luck with those meds. They sound not quite as bad as the antibiotics I had to give Mister Man once where the doctor told us to give him chocolate before AND after the meds to try to reduce the yucky taste. And to give it to him over a sink in case he threw it right back up the first few times.

Total bummer that you didn't find out earlier, but ... better safe than sorry. And it'll happen. Someday!

The Sports Mama said...

We had a pediatrician when Jock was little that told me if in doubt, go with MY insticts over his recommendation. He reminded me that no one knew my child better than I did, and if I didn't feel comfortable with something we were going to be doing, not to do it.

And you've seen how amazing that child turned out, no? ;)

I'm glad that the final outcome meshed with your instincts. Even if you DID have to have lunch in Pittsburgh to get that validation.

Poltzie said...

Well who doesn't like to drive two hours for lunch!
ps. I could look at pictures of Micah all day long - he is darn cute!!

pb&j in a bowl said...

I'm all about going with instincts and it sounded like your's were spot on. Why else would you have called and been concerned about it? Better safe than sorry- oh my, that's something my mom would say. . .

That picture is adorable!

Leanne said...

Love this picture. Darn doctor, but I'm with you it MIGHT have stopped something worse from happening. I would have wanted to hold off too. Still, they could have made the call BEFORE you hit the road.

Melissa said...

You have truly got to be the most patient mom in the world. I would havef driving to the hospital and kicked the surgeons butt!

I hope next time pans out!! :)

Caution said...

I'm sorry, Karen! That's frustrating for all of you. I do hope those meds go down easily for Micah and clear up that infection.

He surely is a beautiful boy!

Fannie Mae said...

OK, yeah, I'm all "better safe than sorry"; but BEFORE you're halfway there!

Spammon said...

Delaying the inevitable doesn't sound too fun. It's like waiting for a root canal.

Tranny Head said...

Ugh - how ANNOYING! What an idiot - maybe you want somebody else to do the surgery!

Tammy and Parker said...

Argh! I feel your frustrations. But I do hope lunch was devine! And what a cute kid!

caramama said...

That is frustrating! I hope the 8/6 appointment goes more smoothly.

That pic of him? Totally adorable!

anglophilefootballfanatic.com said...

Oh, I hate doctors sometimes! At least you made something of the ride into town.

Jenn said...

That was nice of the doctors! Love the picture he sure is a cutie !

Queen Mommy said...

Figures, totally figures!

Debbie Yost said...

Ugh! He looks really cute in the pool, though. I love the hairdo.

Allison Says said...

Oh, how frustrating. But you know what? It's probably for the best. Staph infections can be deadly (in the bloodstream)...so why risk it? Now you KNOW he'll be safe and healthy after the meds for his surgery. And you got to have lunch in Pittsburgh :)

Cute pool picture!

Flea said...

I'm so sorry for all the frustration for y'all, but so glad he's not being subjected to the possibility of something even worse now. August it is.

Happy Independence Day!

JennyH said...

It had to be right after you paid the toll!

Hope the 6th works out better.
Cute picture!

Michelle said...

Uggh! How frustrating that they decided at that point to cancel! I would have been leery of having it done with the staph infection too, you would think they would have just postponed to begin with!