So He's a Packer Now

Micah grabbed a shopping bag out of the pantry and tossed in a yogurt cup, a spoon, a Go-Gurt, and a cheese stick thirty seconds before his bus came. I assumed he wanted to pack his lunch that day, even though he'd never packed his lunch in three and a half years of school attendance. I also assumed that he was craving dairy. Unfortunately, with the bus pulling into the driveway, I didn't have time to pack him a proper lunch so I had no choice but to confiscate his bag of milk products. He was not happy with me that morning.

This morning he decided to pack a lunch again, and since we had plenty of time to do it right, I helped him. First, I switched out his plastic grocery bag with a brown lunch sack. He grinned from ear to ear. He chose green peppers over carrots, so I cut some strips and bagged them. He chose a Go-Gurt stick to add. (Hush with the "it's not even really yogurt" talk. I know. But the boy loves them, and they're so convenient for lunch boxes.) I made him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, because we had no lunch meat or boiled eggs. He chose grapes over an apple. And because every lunch sack needs something fun, I threw in a small Reese's Peanut Butter football shaped egg. And a bottle of water, so that everything would be disposable.

I am fairly certain that Micah is in charge of emptying his own backpack once he gets to school. Since he's never packed a lunch before, I wasn't sure if he knew what to do with that lunch, or if he'd remember that he packed it once lunch time rolled around. (Which wouldn't be a big deal - he'd just eat cafeteria food again.) I thought my best bet would be for him to hand carry his lunch to school so that his teachers were aware of its existence.

That boy was so proud of his lunch, he had to show his van driver. His eyes lit up as he held up his brown paper bag. I'm only assuming he ate it for lunch. I just hope he didn't think he'd get two lunches and try to go through the cafeteria line as well.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Sack lunches are the best!