That Amazing Spring Ahead Time Change

Ah, the Spring Ahead Time Change. It's one of my favorite days of the year.

I know I'm in the minority on this one. Everyone hates this day because, you know, losing an hour of sleep and all that. 

I have been rejoicing, lately, that the sun sets at a later hour than usual. This makes me happy in ways that I can't put words to. Long summer evenings aren't even the most exciting thing that I love about this, although I love them so much. I just look forward to being outside in the evening during daylight hours. You know, after 4:00 pm. This is part of the reason that I love so many Christmas trees in my house. All the twinkly lights make me happy. They dispel the black trying to get in my windows. I don't like that black in my evenings. The fact that I now have an extra hour of daylight, on top of the extended evening sun, makes me so very happy.

I love Spring Ahead Time Change.

All day, I heard things like, "Wow, I feel like I lost an hour of sleep! haha," or, "I'm so tired," or, "I need a nap. This time change really kicks my butt." This makes me realize a few things, every year. 

1. My schedule is so erratic that I don't have a set bedtime. This means that I'm randomly tired. Most days I am; it's a given. I go to bed far too late on a consistent basis, so losing an hour's worth of sleep is just standard daily stuff for me. I didn't notice at all. I never do.

(This year, however, I AM tired today. It's because I was pretty much awakened at 2:45 AM Friday night and had about an hour's nap between that time and the time my alarm was set to go off at 6:30 Saturday morning. See? Losing an hour of sleep Saturday night barely registers in my weird and random life.)

2. With Micah in the house, the time change matters not. Micah gets up when the sun is up. That line in Frozen, at the beginning, where wee little Anna moans, "The sky's awake, so I'm awake. I have to play," was howled at by our family because it's like they lived with Micah and KNOW this is his mantra. Every single day. So when the sun is up at 6:00 am, Micah is pretty much up then, too. It actually makes me happy that my clock now reads a more acceptable hour of morning than REALLY, SON?!

Ah, the Spring Ahead Time Change. I love this Sunday immensely. But I'm going to bed early because of that thing where I lost so much sleep Friday night. The time change is an easy adjustment compared to that night.


No comments: