Life With Boys

Our church had the adult's Christmas program yesterday. Although it was incredibly well done, the kids got a tad bored with it. To entertain himself, Luke insisted that I put my hand over his eyes, then spread my fingers to make a mask. He was quiet and all was good. Until the choir members noticed. A few of them almost choked as they were trying to hold back the snickering. Maybe next time we won't sit in the front row.


Micah is really starting to assert his fashion independence. Yesterday he did NOT want to wear a sweater to church. I held him down and struggled to get him into it. He then lay there on the floor, writhing in agony. I assured him that nobody had ever died of a fashion overload. He was covinved that he was going to be the first casualty.


Luke wore a shirt to the family Christmas party the other week that I'd picked up on clearance last year after the holidays. I was saving it for a special occasion such as that. It said "Jingle Bells, All Girls Smell." When we got to the party he sat at a table of several girls his age. One of them read his shirt, then said "oh, and I thought you were cute." (I'm not sure they're aware that they're all cousins yet.)

Micah has a cold. He's getting very good at wiping his nose himself. I only wish that he'd use a tissue and not his hand. Today I noticed a large deposit of snot in his hair. How on earth did he get it up there? I tried wiping it out because, of course, it was right before the bus came to take him to school and I didn't have time to bath him. Apparently it has the same effect as the, um, "hair gel" used in There's Something About Mary. His hair stood straight up. (Photo taken after I'd tried to smooth it down as best as I could.)

17 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Has there ever been a cuter kid with snot in his hair? You are very lucky to have this cutie for a son...what a smile. :-)

Hallie

Alicia said...

My daughter has a cold, and every shirt I have has a nice spot of snot on the right shoulder area where she's planted her face and rubbed with every ounce of strength she has. I call it gross. My husband calls it Lacy love. I love this season, but I hate the colds that come with it :(

lindsey said...

You have a darling family!

We are having the same snot problem over at our house. My son uses his hand to wipe the snot and smears it all over his face. By the time I see it the snot is dry. Poor little noses!

Burgh Baby said...

Once again, Luke is a smart little dude. Mommy hand masks are definately one way to liven up a Christmas program.

The snot hair? Picture perfect. Micah is so darn cute it hurts.

Bluepaintred said...

OH! Im not the only mom who buys those shirts! We got one for our oldest this year that says SAVE THE TREES and under it Stop The Homework

We are having such a a hard time with his homework this year that this made us giggle. I cant wait till he unwraps it!

Madame Queen said...

Love Luke's shirt! I had the same problem as those girls growing up. My grandfather was one of 18 kids and just about everybody in town was some kind of cousin or other!

Hey, I think Micah looks rather dashing and very with-it with his hairstyle. He looks just like Ty Pennington, as a matter of fact. Hey, I wonder if that's what Ty uses to do HIS hair? ;)

Karen said...

Madame Q - I hope you went outside the gene pool to marry. ;)

I spewed my tea over the Ty comment. You know, I'm sure that must be the secret.

Cecily R said...

Your boys are adorable!

I think Isaac needs that shirt. He'd wear it and everytime Gracie would stamp her foot in indignance. She is such a gender defender that it would be pure entertainment!

AutoSysGene said...

Love the hair gel moment. That is so something that would happen here and I have a girl.

I'm pretty sure if I had bene in the choir I would have been laughing, too.

I love that sweater on Micah. I wish I could get my hubby to wear one just like it!!

Karen said...

Cecily - that's part of the reason I bought the shirt. Becky was in a huff all morning because we were actually allowing Luke to wear the shirt out of the house. We were in stitches.

Wineplz said...

I agree...Micah's hair looks better with snot in it than mine looks with over-priced gel/mousse/hairspray/shine spray. Guess I need to reconsider my styling products...

The Sports Mama said...

You think life with boys is fun now.... wait for puberty! I did a post on it a while back...lol..

Suburban Correspondent said...

Nothing like dried snot in the eyebrows to make you wonder what you ever saw in the kid.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

My youngest son is currently heavily afflicted with snot; and while helping him take his shirt off for the bath last night, the collar caught hold of the mucus and left a trail up his forehead and through his hair. It took us a while to stop laughing.

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Peanut has long hair and when she gets a cold it will sometimes get stuck in her nose. Makes for easy snot excavation. She always has something in her hair. Snot, mashed potatoes, etc. I'm still waiting for her to get out of the stage where she rubs food in her hair. I try to ignore it because I think she does it to get a reaction out of me. Oh yeah, I won't gross you out with her newest trick when she has a runny nose. Aren't kids fun?

Maria said...

I'm glad you got him to wear the sweater! It is so cute. Also, love the hair! He's a cutie.

Maria (also Bia) said...

I once caught my toddler standing on his toes, then sliding his nose down the length of the wall to wipe it. Gross!