We're That Kind of People

We took my nephew to church last evening, and in the chaos that ensues afterward we were home before I realized that we didn't have him. Thankfully my husband is more on top of things than I am sometimes and knew that my parents took said nephew home.

So this morning we had a conversation that went like this:

Becky: Cousin got home last night. (She didn't say "cousin" but we're protecting names here.)
Josh: How do you know?
Becky: I watched him the whole time he was getting on the bus this morning.
Me: Why were you staring at the neighbors?
Becky: Because we're that kind of people.


And because we are that kind of people, we got suckered into a mega-dumb purchase today. Like, you can't believe how stupid. As in, we bought another pet. Yeh, we need one of those like we need a hole in our tiny heads. And this new pet? What is it? A lizard. A baby bearded dragon type of lizard. Reptiles rank one half step above rodents in my book. And yet, for some superly odd reason, we'd promised Josh that he could get one someday.

Don't you love Some Day? It just never comes. You can put it off with soon, a little while longer, let's just wait a little, and other non-committed phrases. And it may never happen. Although as a good parent, you know that Some Day must come because you promised. I just didn't realize it would come this soon. We'd told Josh that we were waiting until he showed responsibility. (This, too, is a vague area.) In light of this, he's been in charge of feeding at the kennel and stable in the evenings for quite a while now. He also takes care of the house dogs for us. We're lovin' the situation we've put him in. He's becoming very responsible. And yet, someday...

Well, today was The Day. He asked to visit the pet store with his cousin. The cousin that owns a lizard. (Not the cousin that was spied on this morning.) And we walked out of there with a lizard and a truckload of lizard crap that I didn't see coming. (Not literal crap. Although I'm sure we'll be getting our fair share of that as well.) And a bill to go with it. Now I feel like I should be sporting a sign. Or maybe I was and that's how I ended up with all this stuff.

So now we are the proud owners of our very own reptile. Call me stupid. Call me gullible. Call me irresponsible and impulsive. But call the lizard Fiji. (Don't ask. A 10 year old boy owns him.)

24 comments:

OHmommy said...

Karen.... does it smell? I heard they smell. My son wants one too but I am worried about the smell.

:)

Congrats.

Pam said...

I am not a lizard person either...then again, I'm not sure what kind of pet person I am.

Anyway.....I feel your pain....it seems that we have been labeled as suckers ourselves. Otherwise, I have no idea how we ended up with all this Disney Princess paraphernalia. Good luck with the lizard!

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Yet again, I am soooo glad I have girls! When I was a kid my grandfather lived on a farm and my brother would go and catch lizards when we visited. I liked them then, but I think I'll pass now.

Fiji's a fun name.

Burgh Baby said...

Sucker. (So says the woman who had not one, but TWO, iguanas living in her house for YEARS.)

Burgh Baby said...

I really had to look it up, I couldn't resist.

Life expectancy? 10 years.

Have fun with that!

AutoSysGene said...

One word....EWWWWW!

ALF said...

AAAHHH!!! Lizards scare me.

Anonymous said...

After all those great names I gave you? Fiji? Ugh. I don't do reptiles. And, does he drink the Fiji $3 a bottle water?

Becky L said...

we had lizards as pets when we were kids... My father was allergic to anything with fur or feathers. None of them lasted very long though. A few weeks tops

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Two words: Chew toy.

pb&j in a bowl said...

That sure would make a nice pair of shoes. . . I'm just sayin'

Unknown said...

Someday done came at your house! The someday in which we buy a pet will never arrive at our house. We tell our kids that they can have as many pets as they want when they have their own place. My 9 year old daughter was bragging about it to her uncle last week...she said in a proud voice, "Mommy and Daddy said I could have a cat! When I move out!" She was so excited. Do we have her brainwashed or what?

Hey, there's an award for you at my place. Come pick it up any time!

Wineplz said...

Figi, huh? well, that's a pretty cool name, too. Much more creative than Larry the Lizard. ;)

I don't know that I could every promise my kids a lizard...they're kinda wiley and can move quick, adn my SIL had a MEAN one that bit...I think he was a bearded too. Hopefully Figi is much nicer. The only reptile that might be allowed in my house is a turtle because they seem a bit slower, they're kinda cute, and can double as bath toys in a pinch. What does everyone else think of your new addition?

Unknown said...

You are a better mom than me. I can hardly handle the one dog we have. I grew up with a million different animals, I always thought i would be a lots of animals house. I now have a whole new appreciation for what my mom put up with!!!!! There is no way I would have 3 snakes, a turtle, a rabbit and 2 dogs all at the same time.

Christina

Tanya said...

Fiji is kinda cute (for a lizard). Once when I was a kid we went down to Louisiana on a vacation. We captured 6 lizards and brought them home as pets. :)

They were the little green anol lizards my dad grew up playing with.

Momisodes said...

LOL at Becky :)
Fiji is such great name! I have to admit, I'm terrified of reptiles.... all of them. But my Hubby had something similar as a kid and he loved it!

just jamie said...

I guess it's better than a snake. Or a rat. Or a tarantula. And you don't have to take it on walks. Do you?

Glitterstim said...

I've thought about a gecko. They're kinda cute. But after hassling with fish....I decided not. However, I do miss my dog. Desperately.

Best of luck to you!
BJ

Anonymous said...

We have a gecko and I too got sucked into getting him. Now though I enjoy watching his antics!

I would love to see you at my Moms of Many online support group! You can follow my blog for info. :)

Traci

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

Nevah, evah!

Karen MEG said...

Karen, you are such a cool mom!! Fiji (your lizard, not the island) would freak me out.
The kids are wanting a dog. Hubs grew up with dogs and would love one too, but he knows I'm not exactly a dog person but I'd be the one doing all the work. So maybe when they're a little older ...someday ;)

Kari said...

Not sure if this applies to this type Lizard (but it looks like the one in the video. I am not a know it all but after I saw this story I never forgot and always warn people when they tell me they have bought a reptile. It says this can effect children, babies, pregnant women and elderly. Freaks me out! He is really cute though! :( P,ease watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfh_5Z0k8do

Cecily R said...

We have a fat tailed gecko. Isaac is dying...DYING for one like yours. Good think he isn't reading over my shoulder....

caramama said...

That is so cool! You are an awesome mom! I would love a lizard... but I hear they eat crickets and I have this phobia about bugs, so they are out for me.

And Becky is funny! *snicker*