Well, That Sucks

Becky came to me this morning and asked if I had any cover-up.

What for? (Because she could be asking to cover inappropriate clothing, a huge zit or a bad hair day. One never knows with kids.)

"This," she said, as she pointed to her upper lip.

It was early. My eyes were still trying to focus. I didn't have the bathroom lights on because the window gave plenty of light to see by.

But I couldn't see anything.

I blinked, squinted, and turned on the lights. Ah, yes. There it was. A faint dark spot right above her upper lip. It looks like... Good heavens, is my daughter growing a mustache?!

At this point I couldn't completely contain the grin that was growing. And I had to ask, "What is it?!"

"You know how you suck on a water bottle to hold it onto your mouth? Well Josh and I were having a contest to see who could keep theirs on the longest. I won. But I didn't think about what would happen."

My daughter isn't growing a mustache. She has a bottle hickey.

22 comments:

Wineplz said...

I shouldn't laugh, but that is SOOOOO HILARIOUS! Poor Becky! but I guess it's better she learned her lesson now with a bottle than MANY years (at least 10...haha) with an over-zealous guy! :)

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

What, no pictures? I hope it goes away before she goes to school. It puts a whole new meaning to spin the bottle.

Karen said...

Nah, no pictures. It really wasn't that bad and wouldn't have shown up on camera. But you know girls - they're paranoid over everything.

Burgh Baby said...

First comes the bottle hickeys, then the real hickeys. Have fun with that!

Anonymous said...

Whoopsy! Wonder what they'll say at school tomorrow?

AutoSysGene said...

Hickey's are all the rage this week, huh?

So tell us, did you give the girl some coverup? ;)

Kellan said...

Oh, this was so funny to me - I am still giggling!

Have a good week, Karen - see you - Kellan

Michelle said...

Ooooo, I used to play that game. I NEVER thought about that consequence. Poor kid :)

Good for you for not laughing outright though!

Cecily R said...

Aw man!! That does suck!! Did the cover up work?

When I was a kid it was see who can hold their chin hardest and longest. People walked around with chin hickies for weeks.

Andrea said...

Oh no poor girl!! Sorry but I was laughing! I hope that it goes away fast!! At least she won!! LOL!!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Water bottles, huh? Is THAT the excuse they're using nowadays?

imbeingheldhostage said...

Yeah, I was giggling as I thought "poor thing!" I would NOT be young again for all the ice cream in the world...

jessica said...

i nominate you for LOTD - laugh of the day! that's great!

kimmy said...

OK - I will be laughing about this for the rest of the day!

Kimmy

Spammon said...

I suppose the experiments are now going to begin with bottle hickeys. Please post the pic when she has 10 of them on her face.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha that is AMAZING!

I didn't even know that was possible.

Madame Queen said...

I did that on my CHIN once. Try explaining THAT one!

Momisodes said...

Oh man...take pics. Save for later use ;)

caramama said...

She's supposed to spin the bottle and get a hickey from a boy. Not get the hickey from the bottle and have no boy kisses!

Just kidding! She's too young! At least it wasn't the real thing! Or a mustache.

The Sports Mama said...

Thank you so much for this timely reminder!

Note to self: NOW is the time to begin teaching Jock that hickeys are stupid and girls really DON'T like them.

Oh gawd. To write that I actually had to think for a minute about my boy engaging in behavior that would cause a hickey. This parenting a teenager thing? Sucks.

Flea said...

Bwahahaha! That's great! Sadly, I had to buy a bleaching kit for my daughter's upper lip. Be glad it was only a bottle hickey.

just jamie said...

Oh no. I was hoping for a picture. Did the cover-up work?