And Then The Angels Rejoiced

As we were eating dinner I thought, once again, that Becky's attitude was just so out of control. She's a teen ager, but still. If she's acting like this at 13, what will we deal with when she's 16? Why must we talk to her about the same things over and over? Why does nothing seem to matter to her?

And then it struck me. She seems to be lacking something. Peace. She needs peace from the constant seeking. Seeking of entertainment, seeking of fun, seeking of boredom escape. She needs to learn to be at peace when it's just her, with us.

And then life happened and it was time for church and we didn't get the dinner completely cleared off the table because we had to get the puppies shuffled before it got dark and get out the door so that we weren't late.

After church I waited for Becky to get out of the Youth Club so that we could get home. It's so late for a school night when the kids are kept out. We waited, and played games in the van, and waited.

I prayed for my daughter, who obviously had something she needed to talk about and didn't feel comfortable talking with her parents. I was grateful for the youth leaders we had for this very reason. She needs to feel comfortable enough with someone to open up and share. Someone who will guide her on the right path, and not a friend who may lead her down a fun, but wrong one.

We waited.

Becky came out with the youth leader's wife, and she was crying. The wife was glowing. Last night? Becky found Peace. Last night Becky realized that she wasn't sure if she'd ever finalized her place in Heaven, and took care of that once and for all.

She was afraid to talk to us about it because she thought we'd be upset. Hadn't she done that years ago? What would we think of her? I reassured her that she can always talk to us about it, and it's alright to have doubts. I thanked her for talking to the youth leader, and we hugged and cried together.

Last night my daughter asked God's forgiveness for the wrong things that she'd done, and accepted the fact that God already paid for those wrongs. Last night she asked that God accept her into His family, and He welcomed her with open arms.

Last night the angels rejoiced in heaven.

Last night my daughter took care of the single most important thing in her entire life, and she'll never have to seek peace again. She carries that peace in her heart.

This is what life is all about.

20 comments:

Keri said...

rejoicing with you. tears and all. and I've only been lurking here a few days!

Hug her for me!

Aimee said...

Excellent - so happy that she has found some peace and the love of God!

Unknown said...

How fantactic that she had somewhere to go other than you and her dad. I am happy for her and the fabulous choice she has made!! Yea!!

Karen said...

How thrilled you must be to know that your daughter has a knowledge of God.

Irene said...

That is so wonderful. And yes, that IS what life is all about!

Michelle said...

Oh, how wonderful for Becky (and all of you, really)! After just reading a post on the miseries of teenagers, it's wonderful to have one that gives hope -- even just a little of it.

CC said...

Absolute rejoicing going on!!!!!!

The Sports Mama said...

Awesome. Just awesome.

Also? Coach has officially given his blessing for Becky and Jock in several years.

Yes, he thinks we're nuts to be planning this now. But then Jock walked in and started talking about how he thinks he's probably going to be breaking up with New Girl soon, and Coach looked at me...

And agreed that maybe the decision just needs to be taken out of Jock's hands. :)

Danyele Easterhaus said...

ahhhh...and this is why God gave her to you! i have to say, as a youth ministry peep, we seldom see the harvest, but we plant a lot of seeds. i love love love it when i see a fam like yours knowing that it's the peace that only God can give that keeps us grounded.

now it's onto micha 6:8...where we do what he says...live it sister. live it.

Trisha said...

What a true blessing!

kimmy said...

I'm glad she found peace. She is a beautiful girl with an amazing smile.

Kimmy

Kim said...

How great you both must feel.

Becoming Mommy said...

I don't know what faith you are our how your specific religion does it, but that's one of the things I love about being Catholic.
The Sacrament of Reconcilliation.
Any time you feel the need for a fresh start, it's there for you.
Yay for Becky!
Although, from what I've heard, 13 is the worst of it.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Girlfriend,

I should have learned by now that I need a box of tissues at hand when I come to visit you. Joyful tears roll down my cheeks. What a glorious post!!!!

You have a non-stop chorus of angels around your place these days.

PRAISE THE LORD!

imbeingheldhostage said...

I keep saying, this is your time Karen-- it's like everything is just opening up for you right now-- I think it's wonderful!

Karen Deborah said...

totally awesome amen!

Michelle said...

I had goosebumps reading this! Praise God that she is at peace now!

just jamie said...

I look forward to that day with my own kids. Maybe not the teenager part so much, but you know, the other part.

Caution/Lisa said...

Fantastic choice, Becky! And fantastic choice, Mom, for getting her to youth group even though it's late and dark and the next morning is hard. That really is what life is all about.

Wineplz said...

Wow. I couldn't pass this up, either. I'm so proud of Becky. It's a hard decision to make...to give up that control to God, not realizing that all you have to do is believe and trust in Him to gain the Peace that Passes Understanding... and congrats to you and Sam for being such wonderful parents.