Hot Date On A Saturday Night

Today was interesting in a weird sort of way.

*I was carded at Wal-Mart. The cashier asked how old I was, and between wondering what on earth I'd bought to deserve that kind of treatment and wondering if she'd left her contacts out that day, I gave her the blank stare. She said she needed to know if I was 18. I laughed (wryly) and said, "yeh, that was 18, 19, wow almost 20 years ago." She said "I believe you, but I still have to ask." (I bought oil, which is now on the card-me list apparently.)

While I should have been flattered that I was questioned concerning my age, I was, in fact, depressed. Twenty years ago I was 18. That's not a pretty thought, people. And it didn't help that my daughter laughed her pretty little head off saying, "you sure don't look 18!" You know that did wonders for the ego, too.

*I had supper with Sam at work tonight. While this could be fun and kinda romantic in a we've-been-married-for-a-long-time kind of way, I fell on the ice walking down to pick up the pizza and not only got my seat wet, I wet myself. You know that, truly, you've been married for a while when you can both laugh about it and continue enjoying your meal. *sigh*

*I will never be mistaken for a fashion model. I came home and changed into comfy PJ-type-sweats, then ran to pick Becky up from a party in them. I've learned to embrace the fact that I'm the mom that makes the other moms feel good about themselves. Plus, a healthy dose of parental embarrassment is good for the kids. At least I didn't wear my wet pants.

14 comments:

AutoSysGene said...

All around a happy, fun day, huh? At least your comfy in your sweats now!!

Karen Deborah said...

awhh bless your heart; I'm glad you didn't break your bootay!

jayna said...

You seriously got carded for buying oil? Like, motor oil?

I'm not sure I even want to know why they need card for that . . .

Danyele Easterhaus said...

carded!!! hooray for face cream :)

and i almost peed myself reading ur hot date.

Unknown said...

Hey just take is as a compliment. That happened to me once at Wal mart with my then 4 kids in tow. Exactly how old do you think I was when I had my 8 year old?

Hope you booty is feeling better!

Gina said...

Oil? OIL???? I have been Sharpie/dust-off, etc carded, but oil is crazy.

the planet of janet said...

oil? weird.

sharpies???? weirder.

and you can't buy dayquil and nyquil at the same time either.

i 'bout pee'd myself reading this.

HalfAsstic.com said...

I swear I truly believe that the fashion model mom's embarrass their kids just as much as you and I.
It's a built in guarantee with motherhood that if you have them, (kids), you can make the most of your God given ability to humiliate at any given time in any given circumstances.
I live and die by that.:-)

pb&j in a bowl said...

Carded for oil? That's crazy. I was carded for White-Out not long ago. I asked about it and she said that apparently you have to be 18 to huff it now.

Andrea said...

What a fun day!! Carded, pizza, pee, kids!! What more could you ask for!! LOL!! At least you got some one on one time! I love that you laughed so much. I am like that too.

And all kids have to love it when their mom's show up in sweat pants. I stand out waiting for the bus in my pjs. One of these days my oldes will ask me to either get dressed or stay in the house.

The Sports Mama said...

If it helps... you're preparing Becky for the MIL she's going to have. :) There's a lot of running around in PJ's going on...

Flea said...

Sounds like a normal evening to me. :)

Burgh Baby said...

I told you that you look a lot younger than you are. If a Wal-Mart clerk says it, it must be true. Which it is.

Michelle said...

Oh that's too funny. I get carded periodically but always have to look at them askance. Oddly, if I'm with my husband, I NEVER get carded. I wonder what that says about him ;)