Sharing the Day

Today Luke got his expander. He was a trooper and wasn't even worried about the installation. Afterward, he changed his name to *Expander Boy*. (If you didn't say it in a deep "I'm announcing a super-hero" voice you'll have to do it again. Go ahead, I'll wait.) Have I mentioned that I worry a little bit about that child?

I paid for the appliance and the upcoming braces today. Ouch. I kept thinking that it would have been a very nice vacation for us, or a cruise, or a hefty payment toward a car. Instead, our child will be able to smile at strangers without freaking them out. Parenthood is expensive.

When I came home from the orthodontist I noticed that at least 97% of my tomatoes are sporting browned and curled leaves. Overnight. Yesterday they were just jim-dandy, today they're nearly dead. I have over 30 tomato plants and was banking on a bumper crop to can this fall. Clueless is what I am. And quite disgusted.

The silver lining are the deals that I got at Wal-Mart today. The plants (what's left of them) are half off and I got me some perennials to kill in the future. (I'm not delusional, I know it'll eventually happen. Look at my tomatoes.) And the back to school things. Oh, be still my beating heart. Twenty five cent Crayola crayons. *swoon* I got about $4 worth because they make awesome party favors, or Easter basket fillers, or Valentine's bag treats. At a quarter each, you can't beat that, and what kid doesn't like to color? (Besides Micah.) I also got me some one-subject notebooks for fifteen cents each, although Becky tells me that I should have gotten more. Girl, I'll be grateful for the opportunity to go back for even more back-to-school things. Glue sticks, pencils, folders... All at Please Take Me prices.

I should probably seek help for my back-to-school obsession. This is one of my favorite times of year. And heretic though it may sound, I even like shopping for these things better than I do Christmas things. The only thing better is organizational stuff, I think. Maybe not. I'm really a nerd that way.

So what have you been up to today?

17 comments:

Michelle said...

Nice job.. I need to find out what our back to school lists look like. Mister Man goes to kindergarten in less than a month.

Sooo today, I did a refi on our house and brought our payment down to 75% of what it was -- yay for low rates :)

And I took Mister Man for his pre-K eye exam. And found out that he needs no glasses -- yay. But that instead we're going to start vision therapy. Crap.

Kimberly Wright said...

We have an orthodontist appointment tomorrow morning.

Today I went with a friend to her high risk OB appointment. Then we had lunch and I came home and sewed a bit. Not much really for a Monday.

Viv said...

I spent way too much time online looking at diaper bags...determined to find the one of my dreams!!! Wish me luck.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Ohh can you tell me about it? They may be recommending one for Kennedy. Is he in pain? Do you have to turn it every night? Did they do it to correct his high pallate? They want to possibly put one in her mouth because she possibly still has sleep apnea and they said the pallate expander would correct her high pallate (I KNOW I'm spelling this word wrong but I can't figure out how to spell it!) and thus eliminate her apnea once and for all. She's had her sleep study and we get the results on Friday... and I'm REALLY hoping she doesn't need an expander!

Anonymous said...

We are supposed to have cool and rainy weather for the next two days - I think you have convinced me to go to WalMart. I too love school supplies and organizing - Type A, OCD me plus a brand new box of colored pencils and a pencil box to put them in = heaven. Because I too am a dork like that!

Hubby leaves for 9 days in Las Vegas tomorrow, so today he gave me a couple of hours with just Briar - we did some playing, some nursing, and a whole lot of laundry!

the planet of janet said...

your day was clearly more exciting than mine, which involved ... uh ... i forget.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

tomatoes are done already? not good. must be the stupid weather...we've had fall like weather all july here. some of my leaves are turning too!

as for today, well, i am planning nothing. sprinkler and coloring and letters.

Unknown said...

I have decided to ignore the fact that school starts for my kids in 3 weeks. I just don't have the energy to figure out what they need and then to go and get it!

Flea said...

I LOVE shopping for back to school supplies! I love a great deal even more! Walgreens always has fantastic sales if you use the coupons in their fliers.

Leanne said...

Tomatoes, expanders and WalMart, you've had a VERY busy day! My youngest also wants to buy ALL of your dogs...stop posting cute pictures of them. Please. :)

Aimee said...

Let's see . . . I've been to horse camp with Francie, the park with the rest of the kids, back to horse camp to get Francie, on to piano (Francie) and OT (Fiver), and then through the Chik-Fil-A drive-thru, because I couldn't deal with cooking.

Sounds like your tomatoes may have been hit by Late Blight -- we are having big problems with that out here because of all the rainy/cool weather we've had this summer. People's tomatoes are wrecked in one day.

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Today was school enrollment day. But first, I had to run Diva to the walk-in clinic for an ear ache. She had an ear infection as suspected. Then off to elementary #1 to enroll Diva, PTA orders, etc. Next stop the grocery store to get Diva's prescription and order a cake for her b-day party. Then to the jr. high to enroll MA. After that, elementary school #2 to enroll Peanut (our home elementary school doesn't have a preschool) After lunch I met my best friend at the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum only to find out it was closed so we went up to Crown Center and Union Station. Came home, made dinner and now I'm relaxing a little while Hubby gives Peanut a bath. Whew, this is supposed to be my day off? I'm exhausted.

Sorry about your tomatoes. That stinks.

SunflowerStories said...

You are so on the ball with the Back to School stuff! I clipped out the lists and stuck it to the fridge, that's as far as I've made it. :)

Today I took Sean to the Ped GI dr and scheduled an endoscopy for him. I also finished making bday invites for Ella's birthday and mailed them.

Shellie said...

I wish I had all my back to school stuff already.

JennyH said...

Hope Luke is doing well. poor bank account though!! I can only imagine for now. give it a few years and I'm sure I'll be paying big buck for fixing teeth too.

The stinks about the plants. What's up with that?! 30 plants is a lot!

school supplies rock! I don't get many crayons just because we have about a billion and 4 of those things- all over the house! Now glue is a different story. I stock up on that! The kids can use about 1/2 a bottle each on one project. They love glue! Have you ever bought glue during the school year? ouch! it is close to $2. crazy! I'd rather stock up when it's 25 cents!!

Beth said...

I bought exactly the same things from the Wal-zoo, and even went back for more today!

KG said...

I have always been grateful for my braces. My teeth were so bad before braces that I was a kid who actually WORE the retainer once the braces were off for fear that the teeth would go back to looking like they did before. I was so vigilant with caring for my braces that I even got them off earlier than expected.