The Reason Behind the Insanity

It appears that I need to clarify some things from yesterday's post. We are not the family that starts projects and finishes them, thereby having a brand new house and yard every other year. We are, instead, the King and Queen of Unfinished Projects. And from the comments that I got, we are not alone in our kingdom.

There is a reason why I started tearing out the carpet in the living room even though the laundry room is now sitting in my hallway and will not get finished in the near (or maybe distant) future. It's a good one, too.

While we were sitting poolside in North Carolina last month, I got a phone call from the Sunshine Foundation. Micah was granted a wish, and they're sending us to Disney.

I think I SQUEEEEEEEd right there on the phone.

So here's the thing. I love decorating for Christmas. It generally takes me about 2 weeks to get all the crazy installed, and I start the day after Thanksgiving. We'll be flying out the Monday after that esteemed holiday, and will be gone for a week. That leaves me very little time (and I can guarantee there will be little inclination) once we return. This means that I will be forced to decorate for Christmas in early November. My arm has been sufficiently twisted.

Our carpet, as mentioned many long months ago, is a dead and rotting entity in the living room. It's embarrassing to say the least. Even my sister felt the need to comment on the horrendous condition of the flooring. THAT's bad.

I'm not keen on entertaining for the holidays with something dead and rotting in my house. So it stands to reason, then, that replacing the carpet before the holidays would make sense. And actually getting the new flooring laid before I set up two fully decorated trees in the living room would also make sense.

See how that works? Give yourself a deadline. I'm hoping that this little project of mine keeps rolling right along because things need to happen. Christmas is about to break loose all over this house and I need a living room floor beneath it all.

You might want to occasionally stop in to see if one of us is dead. I have never nagged the husband over anything in 17 years of marriage. It's not my way. I will get this done even if nagging will happen. It might get ugly. But the floor will at least look good.

13 comments:

Chelsie said...

I have to do the same thing too, although it's usually that The whole family is flying out in a month and the house cannot look like a barn. If people are coming to visit, I magically get enough energy to get everything (mostly) done. Example: For 2 and a half months the spare bedroom had hundreds of books all over the floor, because we couldn't "find" time to put together a bookshelf and nightstand, and two days before my Mom and Grammie came out, we found time. So that works for us.

the planet of janet said...

disney? well cooool!!!

and i *know* how unhappy you are at the idea of early christmas crazy.

so go for it!

Viv said...

Disney is awesome! We live close by and still when we drive past the Mickey Ears we 'ooh' and 'aah' with excitement!

The carpet here? Is 27 years old. 27 years. Eeeeewwww! That is a large part of my excitement to see your project in progress. I do have a young, strapping, otherwise unemployed buck who could be assigned such a project and a small army of minions to assist in his endeavors.

Flea said...

Oh what fun! I wish I lived nearby. I do so love a good flooring project!

Brandie said...

Yay for Disney!!

We also live in the kingdom of unfinished projects. The money usually runs out before the ambition. Our addition is 10 years old and I can still see drywall around the door frames. My bathroom is half tiled and has a toilet, but no sink.

SunflowerStories said...

makes total sense to me! I'd be compelled to paint the living room walls too because "you can't have new floors and old walls!"

BTW, I still have to finish painting in the bathroom we "finished" months ago.

Karen Deborah said...

oh man can I ever relate, my carpet is so nasty...make a wish for Micah?
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

HalfAsstic.com said...

You have determination. You have commitment.
It WILL happen! GO KAREN!

Roger Miller said...

Ooh, they have a new thing at Disney that looks pretty cool, to celebrate the new Disney movie "Princess and the Frog" - it's a little jubilee on the Liberty Bell and looks like a lot of fun! Even has a trumpet playing crocodile!

Bad part about it though, is that it will only be there until Jan 10, 2010. So i guess I'll have to miss it.

I remember when we pulled up a little carpet here, and then there and finally everywhere! No carpet in the house! The amazing thing that we found under that carpet? Some really awesome and nice hardwood floors, we couldn't believe it. i mean why would someone carpet over such nice flooring?

Speaking of Christmas, you'll love the way the parks are decorated - totally awesome! Very Christmas-y.

I remain a jealous man. But you go ahead and have fun, okay. :)

Burgh Baby said...

Psst . . . I think I'm putting a tree up Sunday. There might still be Halloween decorations sitting around, but I don't care.

Kimberly Wright said...

LOL... I think many of us are procrastinators!

Michelle said...

I like the logic. And the addition of the deadline. I won't even comment on your breaking the forbidden date of decorating before my birthday ;)

The Sports Mama said...

Sorry I haven't been around much lately...

I'm jealous. Disney, early Christmas AND new floors???

Can I just come move in with you?