The Conundrum of Commitment

It appears that I'm not good with commitment. Sure, big things like marriage are a go, but smaller things not so much. I've tried and failed diets, and New Year's resolutions, and various other well intentioned things. I have a theory about this. My theory is that I've spent my will power on dealing with kids and have nothing left for more trivial things. Like cleaning out the fridge regularly and keeping up with laundry. (Speaking of which, you know your family has way too many clothes when you've been doing laundry daily for a week and have just begun to make a dent in the heap. Send in reinforcements. Please.)

But this is the beginning of January, when everyone is afflicted with the urge to recommit. Even those with commitment issues. I have determined to reorganize the house (mostly because I started that already and am still highly motivated to finish), to keep the contents of the fridge from growing legs and walking into a science experimental unit, to do more things together as a family, and to take pictures daily.

Yeh, you heard me. I've recommitted to Project 365. I failed utterly last year, and I'm not even sure when it happened. January 15th? February 1st? But when I take 563 photos in one day while on vacation, does that cancel out the days that I don't take any pictures at all? If I don't post my daily photos to my Project 365 folder on Flickr, does it count as being taken? Or is my work only half done?

So many questions; most likely nobody cares to answer.

There are benefits of taking photos daily. I've noticed a marked improvement in my own photography when I took more pictures. I guess practice really does make perfect. I'll need to practice a WHOLE lot more to reach perfection, but every little bit helps. There's also a downfall to this project. It's called lust. I have come to realize that I need a new lens for my camera to take better indoor shots. This lens is not in the budget, and by the time I save enough moolah to make it's purchase, it'll be the Take Pictures Outdoors Again season. See my dilemma?

jan 1

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow, a picture a day? That sure would be fun! I believe you can do it...!! "Ka-ren! Ka-ren!"

Can I be a cheerleader without helping you with the laundry?? :)

Trisha said...

A picture a day will certainly help record memories that otherwise would just fly by! Good luck - I know you can do it!

Burgh Baby said...

Better you than me. ;-) I already know I'm incapable of a traditional Project 365.

You'll use that lens outdoors, too. It will happen, eventually.

wendy said...

What a great picture! I'm not good at new years resolutions either... Happy New Year to you and your family!

Flea said...

Does it count if someone else uses my phone/camera to take photos on the days I don't?