On The First Day of Third Grade

I could talk about the kids first day of school, and the busing issues with Micah because the school starts an hour earlier this year and the van company is confused by this.

I could talk about the fact that our house has turned into canning and freezing of the abundance of our garden central, filling the counters with tomatoes, peppers, and sealed jars of goodness that'll be consumed in a month's time by ravenous kids who insist on growing too fast.

I could talk about how I just made the longest run-on sentence in the world. But I won't. Instead, I'll remind my future self that in 3rd grade, Micah looked forward to going to school.

Yes, he did.

On the first day of 3rd grade, Micah packed his Voice in his book bag, willingly got dressed (after a brief struggle of "no, you can't wear your Woody pajamas to school today"), and was very excited to see his van pull in the driveway. He happily climbed in without requiring fifteen hugs and producing crocodile tears while doing the pouty lip of champions.

In third grade, Micah decided that he loved school. I'm excited to see what he'll learn this year with a winning attitude like that.

On the first day of third grade, my boy grew up a little bit more.

019

Also, this is hands-down the best first day of school photo that I have ever taken. It's so very "my kids."

6 comments:

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

First, yay for Micah! But second, I know it's been a while since I've dropped by, but isn't there an extra kid in that picture?

Anonymous said...

What a rockstar! And what a great shot - it really is so very your kids!

Eternal Sunshine said...

The one in the middle is your nephew, right??

Karen said...

@Debbie - that's the nephew.
@Eternalsunshine - yes, he's the one in the middle.

Michelle said...

Yay for wanting to go to school! Kayla runs out to her bus every morning :) Hope the kids all have a great school year!

caramama said...

Hurray for first grade and Micah's wanting to go!