The Most Amazing of Days

Mother's Day. By definition, it's a day to honor and recognize the mothers in our lives. We have somehow construed that to think it means a day off for mom, but anyone with half a brain knows that'll never happen. If mom takes an entire day off, there will be three times more work for her to catch up the next day. Plus, what mom really wants to spend the entire day away from her family anyway? Not me. My family is what makes Mother's Day so amazing.

Today, we said goodbye to house guests that were here for the weekend. We hosted a cookout for them before they left, and invited our parents over to celebrate Mother's Day with us. Becky had a friend join us as well. We fed 18 people and have enough leftovers for dinner tomorrow as well. Awesome.

The weather was absolutely perfect in every way. It wasn't hot or cold, and was beautifully sunny. We ate on the patio and the kids played on the trampoline. We had popsicles. The boys picked up Starbucks for me on the way home from church. Even the dogs were so well behaved today. I napped this afternoon after everyone left. We sat around the fire pit in the evening roasting s'mores.

Mother's Day is about what you make it. My family didn't take me out to eat or even order pizza for a quick and easy meal for me. Sam and I both worked long on the meal prep for the day. It wasn't a day off by any stretch. My mother-in-law helped me with clean-up after everyone left and washed my dishes for me because the dishwasher was still running from the first round. I had photography business to take care of. It was a working holiday by a few definitions of the word. But it was a holiday spent with people that I love most in the whole world, and probably one of the best Mother's Days I've had in a long time. Gathering friends and family for a meal on the patio is always going to be at the top of my This Is Awesome list.

This. This is what Mother's Day is all about.


No comments: